Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveCap

Abel nippers.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Today I stopped at Orvis in NYC and found that they now sell the $50.00 Abel nippers with the Orvis logo on them. No way I was spending 50 on nippers but the other day I received the recent $25.00 off coupon.

Still expensive compared to my 3.00 ones. But when's most are around 10-12. I figured what the hell, I can do 25.

Just a heads up.

I'll be interested to hear a review, if the jaws don't corrode, it will be worth the price for no aggravation. Hate sharpening the nipper with the hook hone in the middle of the night.

O

I've been doing the 99 cent nail clippers at CVS or Walgreens as of late, they all rust so cheap works for me. My pliers have a good wire cutter so it's mostly mono/fluro I cut. Last year I went through two pair, $1.98 investment, last year with a spring carry over on the last pair. I kept old clipper in my bag and gave it to a guy on a jetty on the Cape that had nothing so it saved the day for him. I got a nice fly in return and was glad to meet a new fly rodder.

I owned the version of 10 yrs ago. Don't know if they are the same today. But I threw them away after awhile. Can't compare to the ones from "Sports Tools".

Herb

I owned the version of 10 yrs ago. Don't know if they are the same today. But I threw them away after awhile. Can't compare to the ones from "Sports Tools".

Herb

Can't find them for sale on line by searching. Found their website but it's not a retail site. I emailed them but if you have a source you can't post, will you pm please? Thanks

O

Those nippers are fantastic, but i cant bring myself to pay that much for them. Nippers are my number one lost item when fishing. Ive taken to just "liberating" nail clippers from my girlfriends manicure box. But guys i know that manage to not lose them swear by them. I have had abel's pliers for years now, and i love them.

I too am an Abel fan and have had/still have many of their reels but I hardly use my nippers, and I didn't like the pliers I had...... I did have a pair of the #2 pliers, pretty small for my hands. I like the nippers for smaller line but for 20lb line and up I don't realy care for them. I like my P-Line pliers the best out of all the pliers or cutters I've tried, I might have tried/liked the Abel #4 pliers if they had side cutters on them though. So I guess I like the nippers.... not for everything, but they do have their place. Given the oprotunity to do it again... I'd still hve a pair.

i go them as a gift and they work well --but the spring will corrode but Abel makes good on them

I have a pair and as stated the spring is showing signs of rusting.

Orvis suks the big one. I sent them a pair of scissors that broke on me. The ones with the thumb hole. The spring snapped on me. Hardly ever used.

I call them & explain what happened & they tell me to send them in. I mailed them out costing me $2.00 in shipping. 3 weeks later I get a check in the mail & a note telling me the scissors have been discontinued . The check was for $5.49 the scissors cost $17.00.

I emailed them & said what's this all about. They told me without a receipt that's all I'm in titled to!

I said I wasn't looking for a refund just give me a pair that is equal to the ones that broke.

They told me that's the best they can do.

Can't tell you what I told them what they can do! I sent lots of money using them but now they can KMA!

Sorry to hear that Ron.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them be it equipment or clothing.

I only started the thread as a heads up on a deal for the nippers if anyone was interested.

Orvis suks the big one. I sent them a pair of scissors that broke on me. The ones with the thumb hole. The spring snapped on me. Hardly ever used.

I call them & explain what happened & they tell me to send them in. I mailed them out costing me $2.00 in shipping. 3 weeks later I get a check in the mail & a note telling me the scissors have been discontinued . The check was for $5.49 the scissors cost $17.00.

I emailed them & said what's this all about. They told me without a receipt that's all I'm in titled to!

I said I wasn't looking for a refund just give me a pair that is equal to the ones that broke.

Can't tell you what I told them what they can do! I sent lots of money using them but now they can KMA!

Don't you have a friend that manages an Orvis store? Was this a recent debacle because I thought you'd always praised Orvis.

the single hand sciccor?