Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

LBI, You decide, yak or wife

7 posts in this topic

Have a family event this W/E S at the S. end of LBI and taking yak will probably be politically incorrect, that should be in capitals. Alternate B is just take a couple rods and plug the jetties and beaches. Anybody know this water?

lbi3.jpg

Jim

[This message has been edited by JimW (edited 04-22-2002).]

I thought you were asking to give up one and that was going to be a tough choice. I'd miss her.biggrin.gif

Fill the cookie jar, scout around with the rod. Go back with the yak later.

Tough one. Good luck. Be brave.

Dan

Hey JimW, thats my stomping grounds your talking about!!! I grew up fishing that island. I have been getting daily reports from a buddy who has been smacking the bass on the beach. Mostly a bait bite but occasionally small plugs are working. Definitely a viable option. For the yak there are a lot of good spots to try. One of the best is along the back side of Island Beach State Park, across the Barnegat Inlet. The big problem is it is across the inlet, quick currents and way too many buttheads in powerboats. Check out the following sites and get a taste for the local flavor. I'll e-mail my buddy and see what is up and if he can possibly hook up with ya.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-23-2002).]

That's great Bob, the best compromise is to take a bundle of rods and take kids, Dad, bait whatever and do the beach or jetties right at the S. end. The back side around those islands looks like great yak territiory but I'll have to save it, maybe get a group for a full assault. We're staying at Beach Haven Inlet. Maybe PM me those sites if you get a second.

What did you think of the aerial photo? It's terraserver.

JimW, The photo is great, but the island is actually part of the main beach now, only problem I've seen with terraserver, old photos. That area of the island is known as Holgate, and is part of the Edwin Forsythe Wild Life Preserve. It is under U.S.F&W control and is closed to all traffic for plover nesting, I think from April 1st to September.

If you are staying in BHI take the yak. You should be able to find a launch on the bay side there. You will be right at the beginning of what is known as the Middle Grounds. Should be just starting to heat up with Flounder and Weakies there.

The beach is definitely giving up some bass as stated earlier.

Bob