Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Karen Missal

striped bass fishermen please take our 5 minute survey to help school project

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Our school group is doing an investigation to determine how rising ocean temperatures affect striped bass migration. Please help us by answering the following 10 questions. Thank you!

Where do you fish?

When?

How long have you been fishing?

What kind of fish do you catch?

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average)

What seasons are preferred?

Do you fish for sport or food?

Have you ever caught a tagged fish?

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years?

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years?             If so, would you please explain?

Hello Ms. Missal, I will take a moment to help.

Where do you fish?  -The NJ Coast as well as Barnegat & Raritan Bay's

When? -  March thru to the following Janurary

How long have you been fishing?  - 36 yrs

What kind of fish do you catch? -  Primarly Striped Bass, Fluke & Bluefish

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) -  Tough to figure, many days without a fish then one day with a ton.  A year end guesstimate I'd say it averages 2 days without against 1 day with.

What seasons are preferred? -  Spring/Summer/Fall

Do you fish for sport or food? -  Sport

Have you ever caught a tagged fish?  - No

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years? - Only recently have I noticed more fish lingering later into the winter.

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years? If so, would you please explain? - I think the migratory patterns have mostly remain in tact but like I mentioned in the previous question I have notice a bit more fish staying longer into the winter recently.

Hope that helps.  Keep us posted on the progress of the project.

Our school group is doing an investigation to determine how rising ocean temperatures affect striped bass migration. Please help us by answering the following 10 questions. Thank you!

Where do you fish? SS LI Ocean

When? 12 pm 5 am

How long have you been fishing? 30 yrs

What kind of fish do you catch?striped bass bluefish

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average)1 fish i day average

What seasons are preferred?spring and fall

Do you fish for sport or food?sport

Have you ever caught a tagged fish?no

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years?worse fishing year after year

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years?             If so, would you please explain?

yes i find fall migration relating very closely to sand eels, when they are close to the shore of long island there are fish when the sand ells stay off shore I do not catch fish

Good luck Miss Missal

Where do you fish? In South Jersey, mostly ocean & back bays

When? April to Dec.

How long have you been fishing? about 50 yrs.

What kind of fish do you catch? Striped bass, blue fish, fluke

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) many times catch none

What seasons are preferred? May,June, Oct., Nov.

Do you fish for sport or food? Sport

Have you ever caught a tagged fish? No

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years? Not really

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years?   No          If so, would you please explain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Missal View Post

Where do you fish?

When?

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average)

These questions sound exactly like the questions me and my buddies were asked by the people working for the registry. Something sounds fishy hereheadscratch.gif Oh, and tell me where the ocean temps are risingheadscratch.gif Still 40 off of Atlantic City, where it should be 46.

Thank you to those who have responded. We appreciate the help!

To bstriping: these questions were written by 6-8th grade students who are participating in Rutgers University's Ocean Day by submitting a video presentation on a subject of their choice relating to the theme "Our Changing Ocean".

The data we have on the rising ocean temperatures has come mostly from Rutgers university and shows a rise in the mean annual temperature of coastal NJ water especially over the last decade. http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/images/coastal_temp.jpg

We are just trying to see if this is having an impact on fishermen as we have fathers, uncles and friends who are avid fishermen and so the topic was interesting to the kids. 

I'm happy to hear that the questions resemble some that the professionals are asking. Maybe we are on the right track with our investigation:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Missal View Post

Where do you fish?

When?

1. mainly, Mass., but tend to chase them around

2. Asap

3. since I was able

4. every one that bites

5. difficult answer

6. both

7. both

8. only redfish, and sharks

9. multi-faceted query, but overall, Yes

10. I do not have an answer to that loaded question....  

Where do you fish? Mostly Monmouth County NJ

When? Starting in April Ending in November

How long have you been fishing? I'd say 30 years

What kind of fish do you catch? Striped Bass, Fluke, Bluefish, sea bass

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) 4-5 hours on average for maybe 2-3 fish

What seasons are preferred? Spring

Do you fish for sport or food? Both

Have you ever caught a tagged fish? No

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years? It goes through cycles, but generally there are less fish than 40 years ago but more fish than 20 years ago. This is probably due to the conservation efforts however commercial fisherman play by different rules and think nothing of destroying gamefish as bycatch.

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years? Not sure If so, would you please explain? I would have thought that pollution and overfishing would have caused the migrations to change but I am happy to see that our stripers still move as they always have with some fish holding over in our rivers and bays. However the timing of these migrations are different every year and for instance the south migration has been happening as late as December and January when it used to happen closer to Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Where do you fish? CT,Mass,RI,LI

When? all year

How long have you been fishing? 22 years

What kind of fish do you catch? anything that swims

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) I usually surf fish 4-5 nights a week. I can't say how many fish per outing. It varies

What seasons are preferred? I like spring

Do you fish for sport or food? sport

Have you ever caught a tagged fish? no

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years?             If so, would you please explain? I can't tell if the migratory pattern has changed but I can tell you that there are less fish in my usual spots

Where do you fish?L.I. South Shore between Shinnecock Inlet and Moriches Inlet and the Florida Keys

When?Mostly in the fall and winter in FL

How long have you been fishing?Since I was about nine, I'm 65 now

What kind of fish do you catch?Striped Bass, Blue Fish and all sorts of tropical fish in FL, including Barracuda, blue Runners, pink porgies, various snappers, lady fish, jacks, grunts, sharks and pompano.

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) Florida is boat or dock fishing. Fall surf fishing I fish the dawn and dusk every day and catch a bass or two every time. say an hour and a half to two and a half each time.

What seasons are preferred? Fall winter in FL

Do you fish for sport or food? I take my keeper most of the time

Have you ever caught a tagged fish? Yes, once

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years? No, every year is different, and experience is good but doesn't ever work exactly. right.

Peace

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years? No If so, would you please explain?

Peace

Where do you fish? -----Mostly southshore Long Island, from Point Loookout to Montauk ( Have fished MV, Block Island, Nantucket and Capy Cod )d )

When? -----beginning when my magnolia tree blooms to December.

How long have you been fishing? -----62 years, the last 45 in the surf for striped bass.

What kind of fish do you catch? -----mostly striped bass, bluefish, weakfish and fluke.

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) -----2 to 6 hour. That depends, sometimes nothing other times a 100 fish in a blitz.

What seasons are preferred? -----I like the fall

Do you fish for sport or food? -----mostly for sport but I do take three Bass year to eat if a bluefish gets to hurt to release it gets to be dinner too. All legal fluke get eaten

Have you ever caught a tagged fish ----- No

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years -----Not really

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years? If so, would you please explain? ----- I do not see any change in patterns but the numbers of striped bass and bluefish have decreased. I believe that the striped bass population is about to collapse. I see the same patterns like the last time the population collapsed.

As far as water temperatures and that's what you're asking, the number of warm water fish have been increasing in our area. Look at the number of Sheepshead now showing up off of New Jersey and triggerfish off of Long Island.

Where do you fish?

Rhode Island

When?

April to November

20 Years

Striped bass, Blue fish, Scup, Black fish, Fluke.

4.5 hours 3 fish

Fall

Both

No

Yes

Yes, You see more tropical fish coming more north. I've noticed bass and blue has shown up earlier then years before and staying later.

Where do you fish? NC, CT, NY, VA

When? All Year

How long have you been fishing? 20 Years

What kind of fish do you catch? Drum, Striper, Flounder, Trout, Blues, Spanish, Trigger Fish, Spot, Shad, Tuna, Tile Fish, Mullet, King Mackerel, Wahoo, Sea Bass, Porgy, Different kinds of Snapper, Sharks, Cobia, Spade Fish, Pompano, Amber Jack

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) Usually All day when I go, Varies

What seasons are preferred? Fall

Do you fish for sport or food? Both

Have you ever caught a tagged fish? Yes

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years? Yes

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years? If so, would you please explain?

Yes

Stripers don't come to NC like they used to. Either because the water temp in the Bay stays high enough for them to not need to continue south, over fishing, or both. All other species that come here seem to be the same every year. Trout fishing wasn't great this past fall like it usually is.

Where do you fish? - Southern Monmouth County/NJ Shore.

When? - All year long if the fish are about.

How long have you been fishing? - My grandfather started taking me fishing when I was 5, and nearly everyday after school. I've been fishing since, though I stopped fishing with my Grandfather around the age of 9.

What kind of fish do you catch? - I fish for everything, if I had to name some...(Stripers, Winter Flounder, Fluke, Largemouth Bass, Trout, Bluefish, Kingfish, Carp, Crappie/Catfish occasionally, Eels, Weakfish, probably more I'm forgetting)

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) - I honestly don't know, as others have said, some days you catch only 1 fish a night in 4-6hrs of fishing, others you catch fish all day, and sometimes you get nothing for hours.... thats fishing.

What seasons are preferred? - It all depends on what type of fish your targeting, for Stripers I'd say I like the Fall the best just because there are many fish around and they are hungry, but Spring and Summer are also a ton of fun!

Do you fish for sport or food? - Both Sport and Food

Have you ever caught a tagged fish? - Yes, a tagged Fluke, a tagged Striper, and a tagged Trout.

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years? - The seasons always change, it all depends on water temps and bait presence. Last year was on the warm side, and we had Stripers in the surf all year long feeding on crabs, this year its just been too cold, not many fish in the surf since about January.

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years? If so, would you please explain? - Honestly don't know.

Where do you fish? Western Long Island Sound, North side.

When? 12 Months a year

How long have you been fishing? Almost all my life with a few breaks in between.

What kind of fish do you catch? All but target Striped Bass Mostly

How long do you spend on the surf vs. how many fish you catch a day? (on average) I fish 3 or 4 days a week weather permitting. I try to fish where the fish are so most of the trips i am catching a couple fish or more. I would say 20% of the time i get the skunk.

What seasons are preferred?Late spring/late fall

Do you fish for sport or food? Mostly Sport. I will take half a dozen keepers a year.

Have you ever caught a tagged fish?Yes

Have you noticed a change in fishing season over the years?Not much, but i have learned more about it so i am on fish 12 months a year.

Do you think the migratory patterns of the fish has changed over the years?     I wouldn't know        If so, would you please explain?