Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joel87

LEADER LENGTH???

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Started to talk to some guys here at work and seems I have gotten pulled in multiple directions was wondering what lenght leaders you guys are using? With that question and the answer from others do you use a swivel or tie your line to the leader

and I use a swivel and leader length will be dictated by where I'm fishing along with leader strength,,my clip is a tacticale angular clip.... sometimes I'll go swiveless if I'm using a teaser.

around jetties/rocks where your more likely to be grabbing the leader prior to the fish I'll go with 3 or 4 or 5 feet of leader depending on the conditions present and fish landing considerations,, right now I'd be comfortable using 30# leader when the bigger fish make their appearance my leader will go to 50#.

In the bay 3' leader works just fine. and I'll use 20 or 30# leader strength depending on conditions.

Ocean fishing and landing fish say under 30" I'm fine with 3' of leader. and will use 20-30# leader on open beaches.

When bigger fish show up I'll increase leader length ( 4' ) and strength 50#.. it's just easier grabbing a larger diameter leader when your landing that bigger fish.

there are exceptions to many fishing rules....sorta like in Life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel87 View Post

Im with ya on that brother thank you much thats what I was feeling, do you use florocarbon?

Floro is not necessary. Mono does just fine.

I'm pretty sure there was just this exact thread, but can't have enough leader discussions.  :)  I use a 5' 50 lb flurocarbon leader with braid on my conventional reel, typically throwing bait.  Usually I'll connect with a barrel swivel using a palomar knot.  My spinning setup gets 20 lb mono, no leader, tied to snap swivel with palomar knot then lure.  If I tie line to line I'll do a uni knot, although I recently saw a new knot that I wanted to try but now can't remember.  It was similar to uni but a little simpler.  Blood knot maybe?

I usually use anywhere from 30lb to 50lb fluro leader (3 to 4 feet w/clip) with an Alberto knot for my braid connection. When the albies are in town I tie direct so I like to go with 10+ foot leader of 20lb fluro. That amount of leader usually lets me retie all day w/out having to touch the line to line knot. 

As for the fluro vs mono, I've read all the debates on whether it helps or not and have come to the conclusion that A. It might help, and B. it can't hurt. That's good enough for me to spend a couple extra bucks on the fluro. 

Right now im fishing alot out front with no rocks and inlets that are pretty open. 3to 5 sounds about right just really stuck on weather to use a swivel or to switch over to braid to leader. 

About five foot, but it varies with the rod. I want my plug to hang at about the gathering guide, which is the most comfortable length for me to cast. 30 or 50' floro. Swivel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon I View Post

I usually use anywhere from 30lb to 50lb fluro leader (3 to 4 feet w/clip) with an Alberto knot for my braid connection. When the albies are in town I tie direct so I like to go with 10+ foot leader of 20lb fluro. That amount of leader usually lets me retie all day w/out having to touch the line to line knot. 

As for the fluro vs mono, I've read all the debates on whether it helps or not and have come to the conclusion that A. It might help, and B. it can't hurt. That's good enough for me to spend a couple extra bucks on the fluro. 

I switched to floro lil bit ago like it, im with ya cant hurt!!!!

Make sure to use fluoro friendly knots for your terminal tackle. Up around these parts, I feel fluoro is only necessary in the salt when you are targeting albies in earnest.