Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonesy

Same sex marriage bad for kids?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

Scalia may have a point here. I think it depends where you live. Growing up in an affluent area of Boston suburbs, we had several same sex parents with adopted kids. I coached many, including one pair of male twins with two moms, in soccer, baseball and basketball for about 6 years. parents and kids were well adjusted and great and part of the neighborhood. Living in TN now, that could happen in my current neighborhood but outside a five mile radius those kids lives and parents lives could be in danger at worst and at best they would be pariah's. Should SCOTUS just come up with something for the blue states and another thing for the red states? or should the kids just be subject to same stuff other parents are when it comes to the state protecting their kids? being in the south i was a bit shocked to see how many kids die in abusive homes under state intervention, like 121 last year in my area. but there is no emphasis on the family if it comes to spending any money.

"During Supreme Court arguments Tuesday on whether gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to marry, Justice Antonin Scalia wondered if having parents of the same sex may be “harmful” to children.

Scalia jumped in to make his point when liberal justices were grilling Charles Cooper, the lawyer arguing in favor of Prop 8, California’s ban on gay marriage, about what harm it would cause opposite-sex couples.

“If you redefine marriage to include same-sex couples,” he said, “you must permit adoption by same-sex couples, and there’s considerable disagreement among sociologists as to what the consequences of raising a child in a single-sex family, whether that is harmful to the child or not. Some states do not permit adoption by same-sex couples for that reason.”

“I don’t think we know the answer to that,” he said. “Do you know the answer to that, whether it harms or helps the child? … That’s a possible deleterious effect, isn’t it?”

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg retorted that Scalia’s question was irrelevant because California permits same sex couples to adopt regardless of whether they’re married.

“It’s true, but irrelevant,” Scalia rejoined. “They’re arguing for a nationwide rule which applies to states other than California, that every state must allow marriage by same-sex couples. And so even though states that believe it is harmful — and I take no position on whether it’s harmful or not, but it is certainly true that there’s no scientific answer to that question at this point in time.”

Cooper was thankful. “And that, Your Honor, is the point I am trying to make.”

Later in the argument, Scalia had a heated exchange with Ted Olson, the lawyer arguing for a constitutional right to marry, demanding that he explain when exactly it became unconstitutional to outlaw gay marriage. At another point, he invoked Strom Thurmond (who fathered inter-racial children during adulterous affairs) to make a point about age."

Quote:

Should SCOTUS just come up with something for the blue states and another thing for the red states?

Simple simple fix to this.  Just take marriage off the books.  Let all that wish to engage in the practice do it exactly as they please.  Easy.

Same sex marriage bad for kids? I think that's a no brainer. Kids should wait till they grow up to take on marriage.

I also thi m the Supreme Court is going to supremely disappoint those promoting homosexual "Marriage". Chief Justice Roberts had it right when he said that those promoting the idea of homosexual marriage were trying to change the meaning of marriage.

Virginia vs Loving didn't seem to hold water with the court, either as Kennedy challenged the demand to accept the same position by pointing out that when loving was heard in 1967, many other countries had interracial marriages in place for centuries.

I don't think the Supreme Court is going to cave in to the homosexual side of the case from the way it's looking. They will be lucky if they get a favorable narrow ruling that has no bearing outside of their case and their state.

How bout polygamy, is that bad for kids?

Not too many polygamous Mormons out there committing crimes....other than polygamy.

If we out law any kind of family, it should be single parent, especially single moms with boys.

How do they do?

We know of three kids, two of whom who were born to a lesbian couple in town. The husband used to coach her daughter from a previous marriage (to a man before she came out of the closet and divorced him) and my daughter in rec basketball. Her wife was the assistant coach when she wasn't pregnant with their two younger kids. And top of that, they are an inter-racial couple (the husband is black, the wife is white).

10 years later you can't even tell they were raised by lesbian parents. Very well adjusted, well-mannered and bright kids. The older daughter is heterosexual, in college and has a boyfriend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffT View Post

We know of three kids, two of whom who were born to a lesbian couple in town

Thats impossible.

We know of three kids, two of whom who were born to a lesbian couple in town. The husband used to coach her daughter from a previous marriage (to a man before she came out of the closet and divorced him) and my daughter in rec basketball. Her wife was the assistant coach when she wasn't pregnant with their two younger kids. And top of that, they are an inter-racial couple (the husband is black, the wife is white).

10 years later you can't even tell they were raised by lesbian parents. Very well adjusted, well-mannered and bright kids. The older daughter is heterosexual, in college and has a boyfriend.

wait. a lesbian got married?

I thought that wasn't possible back then

and if you use the "she came out of the closet" thing, then, doesn't that make you say being gay is a choice for some people?

that ruins part of the argument that being gay is natural.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

and if you use the "she came out of the closet" thing, then, doesn't that make you say being gay is a choice for some people?

Taa Daaa!

And they need the argument that being homosexual is not a matter of choice. Fact is we know for certain that it absolutely can be a choice and have plenty of examples of that. And while it is still possible that in some cases it isn't a matter of choice, it can't be proven. Only one side of that argument actually has proof for the argument.

Studies have recently shown that children of same-sex parents are no worse off that those from hetero parents. Surely those from broken homes are worse off than both. Part of it, surely, is that the homosexual population is more affluent and educated than the hetero population ( and parental income has historically been the ONLY link to success in schools in America). I wouldn't worry about the kids.

It's for the chilleren.... just like gun bans.

Yeah, the children. Always for the children.

It'll be interesting to hear how a couple of homosexuals raising a child answer the question "Daddy, where did I come from?".

"Well, you see. son, Me and your other daddy decided we wanted to have some young person to look after like real married people do, so we invited a lesbian couple we know over and we all got drunk and talked them into......"

It just gets too strange from there on out. Nevermind.

Studies have recently shown that children of same-sex parents are no worse off that those from hetero parents. Surely those from broken homes are worse off than both. Part of it, surely, is that the homosexual population is more affluent and educated than the hetero population ( and parental income has historically been the ONLY link to success in schools in America). I wouldn't worry about the kids.

We aren't going to know for years how this really works out. The first legal homosexual marriage in the whole world was only around 10 years ago. We've got thousands of years of studying the effect of heterosexual relationships on children since that's the only relationship that actually bears children without the aid of modern science.