Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lagerhead

Ok, so they discontinued the Premier series surf rods

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I need help. What is a good replacement for the St. Croix 8' spinning rod PRS80M? It's a 1 piece rated to 17#. In the same price range.

Thanks for the help.

I think I had the 8.5' premier which I was using for backbays last year but didn't like it too much...it was too stiff for throwing small bucktails so I sold it and now I'm replacing it with Ron Arra 9' 1-piece.

Bump. Am I the only one who loved these rods? Now I see why they were discontinued.

Tons of people own them and fish them, the smaller ones were too whippy for me and the larger ones were too dang heavy weighing in around 19 to 20 oz . Good heavers with tons of power but Croix could of done a better job with them imo.

If you want a rod that feels similar in it's action to the rod you have try the Avid Inshore 8 footer rated 3/4 -2 oz , while not a surf stick it comes close to the flex characteristics of the model you were asking about.

I have not tried the new Avid Surfs so i can't comment but maybe you can find one with similar ratings to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by capecodder86 View Post

Has anybody had any luck with the triumph surf rod? I know it's their value rod but was looking for some feedback

Fished a Triumph for many years, got few rods after that and finally settled on a Century Sling Shot but sometimes I still like to fish my old Triumph. Many will say that it is cheap Mexican made rod but I say at that price its worth every penny.

Tons of people own them and fish them, the smaller ones were too whippy for me and the larger ones were too dang heavy weighing in around 19 to 20 oz . Good heavers with tons of power but Croix could of done a better job with them imo.

If you want a rod that feels similar in it's action to the rod you have try the Avid Inshore 8 footer rated 3/4 -2 oz , while not a surf stick it comes close to the flex characteristics of the model you were asking about.

I have not tried the new Avid Surfs so i can't comment but maybe you can find one with similar ratings to try.

Great, so now the PRS80M ($180) has been replaced by the AVSS80MMF for $250 with lousy cork grips. F U St. Croix.

Anybody else have something close to the PRS80M under $200?

My understanding is the premieres had issues. I was going to buy one but decided against it based on feedback given to me on this site. For the two piece, the biggest complaint was the pieces twisting after just one or two casts. I wasn't looking at the one pieces, so I don't know if they were any good or not.

I had a Premier spinning rod. It was really nice, for a spinning rod. ;)

I have two old Ben Doerrs a ten footer for up to 3 ounces and a ten and a half footer for up to 8. As far as I'm concerned, these are the best conventional rods in their class.

My understanding is the premieres had issues. I was going to buy one but decided against it based on feedback given to me on this site. For the two piece, the biggest complaint was the pieces twisting after just one or two casts. I wasn't looking at the one pieces, so I don't know if they were any good or not.

I like 1 piece rods. Like my bathing suits.

The Premiers were very good surf rods, far better than the Surf Kings imo and were a main stay in Croixs lineup for a long time. Be very careful who you listen to about rods, St.Croixs two piece technology is as close to a one piece feel as you will find , absolute top shelf two piece rods that rarely if ever need any adjustment once put together. Other two piece models i have fished pale in comparison, not even close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

The Premiers were very good surf rods, far better than the Surf Kings imo and were a main stay in Croixs lineup for a long time. Be very careful who you listen to about rods, St.Croixs two piece technology is as close to a one piece feel as you will find , absolute top shelf two piece rods that rarely if ever need any adjustment once put together. Other two piece models i have fished pale in comparison, not even close.

Surf King is lamiglas, I have one of those in the 11ft 3-8 oz conventional models. The pieces do twist over time, but it's over the course of a full day of hard aggressive casting.

Surf King is lamiglas, I have one of those in the 11ft 3-8 oz conventional models. The pieces do twist over time, but it's over the course of a full day of hard aggressive casting.

Why do you think i brought it up, i know you have a Surf King , and i'm aware it's a Lami thank you very much. I heave up to 4 oz with my Croix rods and once you set that ferrule right it doesn't budge , i don't care how wild and hard you cast, they are rock solid. I would of never believed a two piece could really fish and respond like a one piece.

Anytime i cast someone else's rod that's a two piece it's terrible.

I have the Premier (PSRS106H2) 4-8oz, 2 piece spinning and been using it for a couple of years. I've thrown a lot of weight and bait into the surf with it and it's never twisted, I guess as long as you put the right amount of pressure to set the ferrule you have no issues with twisting. IMO it's a great bait rod, I broke the top last year, sent it to st croix, got a new top a short time later , no complaints. I don't see them come up for sale to often, so I guess they are still being used by their owners.

Has anybody had any luck with the triumph surf rod? I know it's their value rod but was looking for some feedback

I've got a 9' 1/2-2 oz. It was my first surf rod 5 years ago. I've got a few higher priced rods now, but I still use that Triumph a lot. Great rod for the money.