Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xentury

Backing for Braid?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Spooling a Penn Sargus 6000 with braided. I can spool some mono for backing, or just use electrical tape I am told. Since it sounds easier and quicker, I'm thinking tape is the way to go....Is there an advantage either way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xentury View Post

Spooling a Penn Sargus 6000 with braided. I can spool some mono for backing, or just use electrical tape I am told. Since it sounds easier and quicker, I'm thinking tape is the way to go....Is there an advantage either way?

Any chance you'll get into Albies with this spool job? If so, I'd put a little tape on to keep it from slipping and go all braid down to the spool. I'm sure others will have a bunch of other opinions, and that's a good thing.

Next year, or whenever you spool, you can always transfer the stuff on the bottom to a smaller reel. Nothing wrong with fishing for snapper or bluegills with 50lb braid. biggrin.gif

$$$. Not sure what capacity the spool has....but would guess a 6000 can hold at least 425-450 yards of 30# braid. Really want to pay for that much line if you don't need it? Mono takes up a lot more space than tape. Might as well save yourself 150-200 yards worth of line. One advantage anyway.

$$$. Not sure what capacity the spool has....but would guess a 6000 can hold at least 425-450 yards of 30# braid. Really want to pay for that much line if you don't need it? Mono takes up a lot more space than tape. Might as well save yourself 150-200 yards worth of line. One advantage anyway.

yup^^^^what dennis says, I spooled up a stella 10k with 300 yards of 30lb samari on saturday cost me 33$

Advantage of having Mono backing is that when you have exhausted enough braid that you need to respool you will only need to replace up to the mono backing...otherwise you'll end up wasting lot of braid unless you have other reel(s) with smaller spools so you can transfer the remaining braid.

It'll be wise to add tape (electrical or cloth) to the bottom of the spool and if you like you can pad it with mono before braid... I personally use just tape then braid.

If you need thicker tape then use sports equipment grip tape.

Mono then 300 yards of braid.

When the time comes, flip the braid, add mono to refill whatever you've cut back, and you're back in business for a few seasons.

So long as there's a mono base, the braid won't slip and there's no need for tape and its gooey sticky residue.

50# mono works well

Doesn't have to be the expensive stuff. With 300 yards of braid on top, you'll never see the backing.

It just makes a little more sense to use the mono as backing. Unless you have that kind of money to spend and throw out. Than go for the tape trick and load it up. I'm about to spool my VS250 with #20 or #30 mono backing and load it up with either #40-#50 pro power ..good luck with whichever you decide to do.

Go to your local B&T and ask them. they put line on enough reels that they can pretty much eyeball it. Just tell them how much braid you want on it and have them fill the rest with mono. There is no set ratio it is all preference. Personally I go all braid up to 300 yds. If the reel is going to take more than that then I'll add a mono backing. I don't want to worry about knots catching in the middle of the spool. Also you can get many seasons out of your braid this way. After a while you will need to cut back and add more backing , but most B&t shops will be happy to do that for you.

I have been going straight braid with cloth tape but am ready to switch to the mono backing as most of the guys said due to cost. Good luck

The only reels that I have a mono backing on are those that will hold more than 300yards of the braid that I use on that reel. Those reels have enough mono backing so that a 300 yard spool is a perfect fit. Otherwise I use all braid, no tape or backing of any kind.

who here sees more than 200 yards of braid????? Even if a fish hits at the end of a great cast, I've not seen that much line. I typically go 150-200 yards and load up with Dacron on my smaller reels, or anything I won't be using specifically in the ocean. The boca I just picked up holds 25 yards of dacron and 160 yards of braid. I will be fishing creeks and backbays. Don't spool up with a ton of line unless you know your reel has a good chance of seeing a 50 lb bass or you'll be chasing albies/tuna

9' and up I want 300 yards. Long cast, screaming current and it could matter, same with a hard cross wind and a long cast, can take a lot of line off a reel.

Some of my schoolies outfits only have 150. I'm comfortable with that.