Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turk6482

Plum Island - Changes after the winter

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Use to hit Plum Island hard back in the days right from the jetty. Landed some nice size stripers jigging and bait fishing. Fishing hasn't been the same the last couple of years due to the changing structures and bottom.

Use to hit Plum Island hard back in the days right from the jetty. Landed some nice size stripers jigging and bait fishing. Fishing hasn't been the same the last couple of years due to the changing structures and bottom.

Got that right! I still fish it hard.....but not that area. My area hasn't changed, thankfully.

The first picture is the mouth of the river.............

I want to get a look at the Refuge end and see the chages in that beach. Not that we get much time to fish it due to the PLOVERS (Taste like chicken).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turk6482 View Post

Not sure if anyone has seen the drastic changes on Plum Island after the winter we just had, A friend just sent these to me so i thought I would share.........

1000]

Wow - Stayed in one of the cottages at the Blue Inn in February - I took a bunch of beach erosion pictures then, look at the Blue then (below) and now as shown above

Even at high tide we had plenty of room to walk in front of the Inn back then - is the surf coming all the way up to the eroded area at high tide now, or was this an unusually high tide when the photo was taken? 

I wonder where the sandbar in the river is??

The river bar doesn't look much more exposed than last year, but it's hard to tell from the photo. OTOH, some of those new sandbars on the beachfront are amazing. Not to mention the erosion. :shock:

-bd

The river bar doesn't look much more exposed than last year, but it's hard to tell from the photo. OTOH, some of those new sandbars on the beachfront are amazing. Not to mention the erosion. :shock:

-bd

Yeah, the river bar seems to be the same. I can see the rip right after where it is. I agree, the new sandbars look interesting. Have to try them...

Can't wait!

PI was always one of my favorite spots.

And yeah! Those new bars on the beach look very interesting.....looks like a pretty deep hole in between the north and the middle groins, too.

Lots more sand at the inlet on the Salisbury side.

Lot 1 on the refuge collected a lot of the sand that got washed away.

That place changes every year. Another reason not to put a house on it.

...the more I look at that 3rd pic, the northward view from 1 to Salisbury, the more my sandspike drags!!

Co mon stripahs!

(Actually, Holyoke will be worth checking in a coupla, few weeks, /staggahs)

I walked the stretch from the center south to the Refuge yesterday.....it looks HORRIBLE! No fish will ever be there again!

However, I will be........think I may spend several tides there this year.