Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cabo2005

Ceiling - Skim Coating

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So, the last popcorn ceiling in our house came down Saturday, I did the other six already. Turns out this ceiling is in the worst shape than all others combined. The quality of workmanship is terrible. Whom ever taped and mudded should be put out to pasture. Started the first coat last evening but slow progress. Any helpful hints would be most appreciated. Going to need at least two coats. Good thing the weather stinks.

Thanks,

Cabo

A random orbital sander with a vac hose attached sure helps and it keeps mama from going supersonic when she has to dust the whole place. I have mine attached to my shop vac with a 14 ft hose. I used 1 1/4 inch because the 2 1/2 inch hose on the shop vac was way too stiff & heavy. Adaptors are duct tape. I have an extension cord zip tied to the vac hose to power the sander. Other than that you have my deepest sympathies.

look up level 5 finish- i've done quite a few of these in the past. Finished ceiling is like new.

BTW- they usually dont worry to much about taping and spackling if they are going to shoot pop corn over it. It hides all the crappy work.

Cookie,

All my ceilings had popcorn. This one is by far the worst and it happens to be the master bedroom so the Princess wants it done right. I'll look up the leve 5 finish.

Thanks all, back at it this evening.

Cabo

Ceiling has multiple coats applied. Finished sanding last evening. Looks pretty darn good I might add. Not perfect but pretty close. A coat of primer and one or two coats of ceiling paint with a lambs wool roller should have it looking good. The walls still need a little work. I used the Gator brand sanding tools. The pole sander head and the drywall hand sander both hook and loop. Things should be looking very good soon. The Princess heads for Cabo on Thursday for two weeks, should be just about done before her return.

Cabo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabo2005 View Post

So, the last popcorn ceiling in our house came down Saturday, I did the other six already. Turns out this ceiling is in the worst shape than all others combined. The quality of workmanship is terrible. Whom ever taped and mudded should be put out to pasture. Started the first coat last evening but slow progress. Any helpful hints would be most appreciated. Going to need at least two coats. Good thing the weather stinks.

Thanks,

Cabo

That was the "beauty" of popcorn,one coat of slop mud and tape  and get to spraying the goods on. Utter garbage and a sure sign of a cheap developer or contractor. The hundreds and hundreds of sq. ft.  of popcorn that i have scrapped of ,,,GEEEEZ my aching arms!

I know you have done the work but I recently removed a popcorn ceiling and it is a mess to do but we took our time and it came out nicely.

1. Scrape all the popcorn off the best you can. be sure you are wearing a mask as it gets dusty quick.
  2. Take a spray bottle and spray the ceiling as you work with warm water (not hot)
  3. Let it sit for about 10 seconds and start scraping gently. This helps take more of the glue and popcorn residue off.
  4. Let dry.
  5. Move back to the beginning but this time use a sponge and a bucket of warm water. Sponge as much as you can.
  6. Let dry.
  7. Go back and sponge one last time even if it looks clean. Keep rubbing, watch the water, yuck there was still some there.
  8. Let dry.
  9. Go back and hit any spots with a spray bottle that are left.
  10. Let dry.
  11. Spackle and areas in need.
  12. Sand, prime, and paint.

The ceililing looked brand new when we were done.

My friend did the same thing in his bathroom I'm planning on doing in mine.  Roll on the ceiling stucco type coating, then drag a knife randomly around it to knock down the the stucco look.  Luckily, my bathroom still has old swirl with so much paint on it the swirls don't hardly show up any more.