Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Freshwater Yesterday

1 post in this topic

John and I wanted to do some yak fishing yesterday and since not alot is happening at the Jersey shore he joined me for some of my local Res. fishing. I mentioned to John that we had smallies and he said catching a few would make the day worthwhile. Here's his second smallie which he said was his largest ever.

John-smallie.jpg

If you notice the steep rocky shoreline. In the cove behind me we were catching largemouts. I said to John with the steep bank and rocks that we should get smallies. I hadn't fished this shoreline before. John's next cast produced the smallie.

He ended up with 2 more and the last one was bigger than this one but he was across a cove from me then, so no pic. John also caught a nice fat pickerel and a couple of largemouths. I got several largemouths up to 18" but the smallies eluded me. I had a nice one throw the hook and a bigger one flash my lure as I was lifting it out.

We got an early start in the middle of the day since we were wary of T-storms. All fish were caught on assorted plastic. John had a depth finder and even thought the Res. was down 5-6' we found 43' of water within 20' of shore with fish suspended at 20'. They were most likely smallies but there are also big browns in the lake. We never got to give them a shot as it was windy then and we were heading to more protected water. Nice day on the water.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-04-2001).]