Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheech

Does anyone surfcast the Squall star drag 25n?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I love my Penn 525 mag, and Abu mag reels, but they lack one thing, a high retrieval rate. They both have retrieval rates somewhere around 30". For me, some plugs, and most tins could benefit from a 40" retrieval rate. With the Squall do you lose torque with that high rate? Is that rate comfortable for plugging conventional? Is the mag system equal to the 525? Thanks for any input.

Unfortunately the Penn Squall 25N does not have a factory Mag for casting control, but it does have the same retrieve ratio of 6.0:1. I have caught many larger fish casting metals from the sand with the Mag 525 including False Albacore, which a fast retrieve is necessary, and do believe the retrieve rate does just fine.

You do loose torque with the high retrieve rate, but I find with a properly greases drag, a little luck, and strong knots you can bring in just about anything if you have the patience to play a fish properly. You could upgrade the handle if you like to add power when fighting your catch...

Just my 2 cents worth!

Hook'um

The fathom 25N has a centrifugal brake system. It is slightly lighter and has a full metal body, you can find them online for under 200. I believe it was made for left coast tin chuckers.

Wow, its in the new Cabelas saltwater catalog for $149, and described as having "externally adjustable magnetic cast-control brakes". Guess i'll have to check it out at a store. Thanks for the responses.