Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mingao

Recommend a rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just bought a Daiwa Saltist STT4000H and now I need a rod.

Application:

Will load reel with braid and a mono top shot. This will be my "light" surf set up for when I go to Cabo. For throwing lures at roosters, jacks, sierras or anything else mean in the surf.

Just bought a Daiwa Saltist STT4000H and now I need a rod.

Application:

Will load reel with braid and a mono top shot. This will be my "light" surf set up for when I go to Cabo. For throwing lures at roosters, jacks, sierras or anything else mean in the surf.

Daiwa Emblem 12' (2 pc) or Team Alabama Surf 13' (3 pc). I have used both in Cabo and liked them. At the least I would look for an 11' rod in the 2-5 oz rating range. The breakers on the pacific side are huge and you'll need some distance to get to the fishable water.

Specs:

<$250

2pc

fishing from shore

for throwing lures (stick baits and metals)

going after sierra, rooster fish, jacks, snapper (anything swimming in Cabo's shallow water)

I would say the st croix mojo surf rod, its my go to surf rod. Its light strong and casts very far, the 10'6 3/4-4 oz is the ideal rod for casting lures the tip of the rad has a different material in it so you can work your lures nicely. 

Daiwa Emblem 12' (2 pc) or Team Alabama Surf 13' (3 pc). I have used both in Cabo and liked them. At the least I would look for an 11' rod in the 2-5 oz rating range. The breakers on the pacific side are huge and you'll need some distance to get to the fishable water.

+1

No the Mojo 3/4 - 4 can't throw 3 to4 oz consistently & specially if you really push it I love mine but I don;t throw more than 3 wit hit. You can go with the longer/ heavier one (11' 3-8 I thnk) OD a search her on SOL

Also remember these have a 70/30 split not 50-50, that may be an issue for travel

Check out some of HPD's old posts (High Plains Drifter) he was the Rooster Guru around here a fee years back He retired & I'm not sure what he's up to, but I do miss his posts.

Another option is the Breakaway Omega

Manny