Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ogsep22

How does (lure) size matter??

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Easy guys..just having some fun.  I'm actually in my second year of surf fishing and believe it or not, I actually landed my first striper last year using a Little Neck SS plug.  Not a cow but definitely just under the size limit.  Of course I released her and I could barely contain my elation but I'm officially "hooked" for life...OK... I'll stop with the cheesy puns!! biggrin.gif  I'm staying local so I can gain as much knowledge of my immediate landscape as possible but I'm looking for some basic guidance on presenting artificials.  I fish mainly South Shore open beaches, or at least I hope I will this year LL.gif and I was wondering about lure size.  They're so many options and surf plugs are not cheap so I was wondering if any of you sharpies out there could shed some light on the subject.  Is there really a difference if I use a 2 oz as opposed to a 4 oz?  I'm pretty sure water depths have something to do with it but that's the extent of my expertise..if that's even accurate. 

Thanks for the posts in advance.

Finding white water is more important on the south shore. For plug size, you dont need anything more than 2 3/8 oz, i usually stick closer to 2oz. most of the time the bass are under your feet so you dont need to worry about distance unless there is a strong wind in your face. Save yourself a hassle and just buy some more super strike plugs to begin with. For bucktails, you wont need anything more than 3/4- 1.5oz depending on conditions (this dosent apply for inlets)

Conditions dictate what lures you would throw. If the bass are chasing adult bunker or large shad...we'll you just might select a larger size lure that mimics the size and the contour of that particular bait. You can use bucktails and increase their size, somewhat, by dressing them with different types and sizes of pork rinds.

Sometimes if the fish are deep some of the larger swimming plugs have bigger lips and will dive deeper than other swimming plugs that are smaller but shaped the same.

Heavier lures will sometimes sink when you need them to,better than lighter lures.

You are the captain of your ship, so make the judgement and react to the type of bait and the conditions you are up against. Very often when the weather is calm and not windy you can throw smaller lures and plugs a considerable distance. Then again...if it's windy and you have a real push,you may need larger ,heavier lures to be able to reach the fish.

Sometimes fish are at your feet ,other times they are 50 yards away or four breakers out and a 2 ounce bucktail might not do the same thing as a 3 ounce would under certain conditions. I have seen plenty of anglers throwing 2 ounce buck tails and not getting fish, while the next fellow is using a three ounce buck tail and hooking up on every cast.

It's all about the prevalent bait,where the fish are staged, wind,the water depth, the stage of the tide, the terrain,structure and the current. The only absolute...is that their are no absolutes in fishing.

Read what JettyGuy just posted over and over and over again...good stuff there, especially his first and last lines ;)

One thing I would mention as was already stated about lure size is, if there are bigger baitfish present go with a bigger profile plug. Where this can get tricky is when you see baitfish and then you think that is the only baitfish present in that area. You need to be a baitfish hound and if other baitfish begin to make their presence known then you need to adjust accordingly. Be sure to employ your eyes, ears and nose to sense the presence of other baitfish. Do everything possible to learn baitfish patterns throughout the year, especially as it relates to the area you fish.

That's my .02 cents!

Ok, as they say a picture is worth, how many words? This is my day time plug bag. The night is different. I stick to basic colors. The two Hons are less than 5 inches. heaviest bucktail is 2 1/2 oz. Favorte tin is the D5.

Finding white water is more important on the south shore. For plug size, you dont need anything more than 2 3/8 oz, i usually stick closer to 2oz. most of the time the bass are under your feet so you dont need to worry about distance unless there is a strong wind in your face. Save yourself a hassle and just buy some more super strike plugs to begin with. For bucktails, you wont need anything more than 3/4- 1.5oz depending on conditions (this dosent apply for inlets)

White water is important for as ... What about bay fishing? What are you looking for in the water in the bay?

Thanks for all the useful information folks.  Always appreciated.  I have a better understanding as to when certain lures should be used so I'll have to put the time in this year and apply what I know on the water. 

I'm with you second year in.... Did not have much success last year but totally fought the bug and hoping to become a productive surf rat! Productive being the key word. I enjoy reading all these threads in hopes to gain some knowledge and read a few books and attended a few seminars over the winter, I can't Believe how much goes into being a successful surf fisherman. I thought it would be easy but that is sure not the case! Good luck this season

Stripers use the white water as cover and the bait fish in the breakers get disoriented making them easier prey

This is my 2nd year as well and I'm hooked!! This site is a great nothing beats years of trial and error(which I've been doing) and information thats being passed down from the seasoned guys to the younger guys keeps it alive

Sure sounds like some Gen Y classmen are making some waves! icon14.gif  I've been consumed with hitting the water this year and I'm hoping to get out for the first time this coming weekend.  Being the newbie is intimidating and many times frustrating.  I also can't dedicate the amount of time and effort it requires to become prolific just yet be it that I'm a fairly new father of two and my day job demands at least 50 hours a week. It would be great to have someone with years of experience and knowledge as a fishing buddy but be it that I'm not that lucky, I'm learning the hard way. 

ogsep22

Sure sounds like some Gen Y classmen are making some waves! I've been consumed with hitting the water this year and I'm hoping to get out for the first time this coming weekend. Being the newbie is intimidating and many times frustrating. I also can't dedicate the amount of time and effort it requires to become prolific just yet be it that I'm a fairly new father of two and my day job demands at least 50 hours a week. It would be great to have someone with years of experience and knowledge as a fishing buddy but be it that I'm not that lucky, I'm learning the hard way.

Same boat here new father and want to make sure my priorities to my family come first, I agree with ogsep would be nice to have " mentor" but i am hoping winter work will pay off..... Who knows real anxious to get out there hoping this weekend!

There are great mentors here ! There's some really nice veterans here.

Took me a while to get over the fact that I have no f ing clue what I'm doing when I go to the water. But I've met some really nice guys and girls who were willing to give me some pointers. Oh i also met some jerk offs that gave me bogus tips, probably because I was getting near their honey hole!!!!

The only thing I've learned the hard way so far is fish with a buddy at night, cause things can get ugly real fast, like a slip in the surf and having a wave crash down on you.

But that's cool knowing in not the only 2nd year sophomore here.