Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazybellringer

soft/foam racks, anyone have any experience?

29 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the foam style soft racks you can take on and off the top of your car? I have a dakine surfboard rack and it was good enough for surfboards so i am thinking the soft rack may be good enough for the kayak. I have a truck but i don't have crossbars and with the list of little things i need i don't want to get the cross bars.

They are a PITA. Way too much work to get them on and off. Not to mention they're not very stable for much highway use. I have some but hate anytime I have to use them. The wife's SUV has the Thule on it. My next vehicle will have a rack.

I bought a set a few years ago to transport my kayak to the Outer Banks from NJ. Didn't have any problems. Two straps through the doors plus a bow and stern line kept the kayak secure. They are a PITA, but ok for occational use. You said you have a truck, what kind and length of bed?

I use the universal Yakima foam pad kit. I have found that the best way to put it on the roof of my car is to strap the foam pads to the kayak first, then strategically and gently lift the kayak to prevent my self from scratching or damaging my car. I have taken my kayak on the roof over 200 miles on highways and have never had a problem with the stability. I use the straps that came with the yakima kit and they work fine, as long as you are careful you wont damage your vehicle. It takes a little extra effort but its easier than spending the $$$ on a custom rack.

Here's a pic to give you an idea..

<br />

i helped a friend set them up on his car to carry his kayak, but we ran into a problem....His roof wasnt strong enough to hold the weight of his kayak with the blocks. He didnt have a heavy kayak by any means(only 50 pounds)

every way we tried to set the blocks up, his roof would "pop" in. luckally the dents would pop out, but we didnt want to risk transporting any distance with the roof being dented in, incase the dent wouldnt pop back out.

He drives a 2010 lancer

I have used them for canoes and just recently for a kayak and had no troubles, however, they were mounted on roof racks so I don't know if that makes a difference in the stability department since I could tie them down securely right to the racks.

I bought a set a few years ago to transport my kayak to the Outer Banks from NJ. Didn't have any problems. Two straps through the doors plus a bow and stern line kept the kayak secure. They are a PITA, but ok for occational use. You said you have a truck, what kind and length of bed?

I have a path finder. The first time i used my yak i put the rear seats down and the front one all the way up, put the kayak in the truck and drove with the back gate glass open and the kayak hanging out. . It was november and the 1.5 hour ride home was a little colder than i would have liked

I use the universal Yakima foam pad kit. I have found that the best way to put it on the roof of my car is to strap the foam pads to the kayak first, then strategically and gently lift the kayak to prevent my self from scratching or damaging my car. I have taken my kayak on the roof over 200 miles on highways and have never had a problem with the stability. I use the straps that came with the yakima kit and they work fine, as long as you are careful you wont damage your vehicle. It takes a little extra effort but its easier than spending the $$$ on a custom rack.

Here's a pic to give you an idea..

[/quote

Hey Mike, I was thinking of you as I responded to this thread knowing you've been using foam blocks. How's things? Nice pic, ST right? I'm very familiar with that place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekchub View Post

[/quote

Hey Mike, I was thinking of you as I responded to this thread knowing you've been using foam blocks. How's things? Nice pic, ST right? I'm very familiar with that place.

Hey ChrisHappyWave.gif I've been doing good, how bout yourself? Nice profile pic and yep that is S.T! I'm looking forward to catching some big bass next to you this Spring!!

I have a path finder. The first time i used my yak i put the rear seats down and the front one all the way up, put the kayak in the truck and drove with the back gate glass open and the kayak hanging out. . It was november and the 1.5 hour ride home was a little colder than i would have liked

I see, I was thinking you had a pick-up. If you're in a budget the blocks will work fine. I use my old blocks now to put my kayak on when I wash it off in the driveway.

Hey Chris:wave: I've been doing good, how bout yourself? Nice profile pic and yep that is S.T! I'm looking forward to catching some big bass next to you this Spring!!

I'm doing good. I'm dying to get out there, keep in touch, I'll let you know when I'm headed out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekchub View Post

I'm doing good. I'm dying to get out there, keep in touch, I'll let you know when I'm headed out.

Sounds good , same here shoot me a Pm whenever you plan on heading out!

I used them for 2 years and they are a pain. They do get the job done, but they are always blowing/falling off during loading. If you have them towards the middle of the roof they will dent your roof, so space them out. Also tge steaps running through your doors are LOUD! I finally just got a rack, so much better! Look at inno racks. Great racks and cheaper than thule or yakima.

If you have side bars on the pathfinder a set off crossbars shouldn't cost more then $200 and that's the way to go.

Well that is the issue 200 bucks does not seem like a big deal but i have a list of needs.

I want a camera floating kit 15 bucks,

i need new cutters for my pliers 15 bucks

I have a paddle but it's cheap aluminum and my knuckles hit the kayak some times. Does this mean i need a longer paddle? this is expensive

I need a new griper 15 bucks

i don't have a flag

i need odds and ends terminal tackle and some trolling stuff.

Right now my leashes are a surfboard and boogie board leash, i would like to get kayak ones

scupper plugs

The little things add up and i have to draw the line somewhere.