Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikT

Catamaran Yak

7 posts in this topic

Awhile ago there was a post about a certain Kayak.. It was a catamaran and was well suited for fishing.. ANyone remember the post? If so can you post a URL or a Pic of the yak??

Thanks,

ErikT

Erik - the Stealth is a great choice if you plan on using a motor. If you're going to paddle I'd reccomend looking at other yaks. What are you looking for in a yak?

Eric, I agree with JonS if the battery dies you will wish for a backup battery within a mile or a very attractive EMT to administer CPR if decked out to the hilt.

If you plan on launching close to your intended fishing area and will fish specific tides you will find no finer fishing platform for the individual sneak fisherman than the stealth. Mine has a sidefinder/sounder, trolling motor, battery with solar charger, mapping GPS, submersable VHF radio, rod holder, anchor, plenty of storage, and stability like a barge.(a plus for those like myself who tread water like an anchor smile.gif)

If you plan to fish long range moving most the time for 8 hours at a time this is not the setup to use. Buy a light touring kayak with a slightly better than average initial stability factor than a pure touring yak. I currently have 3 different kayaks for various needs but the Stealth gets the call if I know right where I am going to fish and can see the area from the launch site.

JonS, You won't like my choices wink.gif but they perform well for my needs.

I already had stability in the Stealth. What I wanted was extended range from launch site to destination. As you know, I prefer to paddle from location to a more remote location and fish with my feet on terra firma. My need was to transport myself and equipment to these remote location. I bought a Heritage Nomad II fast touring for long range open water travel and a Heritage Sea Dart for sheltered medium to long range travel.

I selected the Heritage brand for its obvious quality levels compared to some others. I also liked the Necky brand as well for the same reasons. I talked to the guys at Heritage and really liked their attitude and the pride in their products. That was the final selling point for me.

I know you owned a Sea Dart but I guess our styles are different for I find it very easy to fly fish from (as long as you remember rule #1: Keep your head over your butt!) smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif The Sea Dart is a quick stable 14'3" boat. The Nomad II fast touring is an extremely fast long range 16' straight line boat.

Quality, the way they paddled, and my personal requirements in additional kayaks made these my choices.

Jim - actually for what you're using them for the Heritage's are great choices. I didn't like the Sea Dart for my type of fishing which required a great deal of versatility, small rivers to launching through the surf and fishing from the yak a lot. I've always said that it would be a great choice to use as transport to areas I would wade. They are fast, extremely well made kayaks and great additions to a stable.