Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Google Drive vs Amazon Cloud

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Any one use either of these? Just had a scare with my computer and had to rush and back stuff up. I have back up drives but wanted another layer. I also have 7 years of pics on this computer and they eat a ton of space. I wanted to store the pics on the cloud and get them off the hard drive. I started with Google Drive but it seems to sync the cloud folder with a google drive folder on my computer and thats costing me significant space on the hard drive. From what I see Amazon Cloud doesn't do that, I could dump the pics there and get them off the drive and free up space. I'm new to this cloud crap and maybe I'm not using Google Drive correctly but if what I see is true and that I need to store the files on my computer its not going to work.

Oh, I would've posted this in the computer forum but I couldn't find it

You don't need to have Google Drive installed on your PC for it to work. You should use Chrome, if you're not already. I've been using the Google platform for years now and it's constantly improving. I don't even use Microsoft Office anymore. The only thing holding me back from going all out on a Chromebook is this 3rd party software (Jeppesen) that I use to update aircraft databases. As soon as that goes web-based, I'm out and all in the cloud. Eff Microsoft. Eff Apple. They both got it wrong.

Dropbox or Drive are great.. I use both but prefer DropBox (all free and now up to 9.7GB)

There's also Box.com but haven't had the chance to mess with it yet...

Forgot to mention MS's Skydrive too (7GB Free)

Best scenario is do a primary back up into a Media, DAS, or NAS then backup the data to an online storage of choice.

Dropbox or Drive are great.. I use both but prefer DropBox (all free and now up to 9.7GB)

There's also Box.com but haven't had the chance to mess with it yet...

Forgot to mention MS's Skydrive too (7GB Free)

Best scenario is do a primary back up into a Media, DAS, or NAS then backup the data to an online storage of choice.

+1 for DropBox but I only use that for stuff I want to use a URL to access.

Buy a TB WiFi tower and back up everything (even your DVR).
Bad advice, in my opinion. You don't want to back-up your data to a device on-site. In the event of fire, flood, or theft you're hosed. No need to spend the money on hardware when there are so many free, reliable web-based solutions ("cloud") out there and competing for your attention.

Bad advice, in my opinion. You don't want to back-up your data to a device on-site. In the event of fire, flood, or theft you're hosed. No need to spend the money on hardware when there are so many free, reliable web-based solutions ("cloud") out there and competing for your attention.

For $150 for the top unit buy three. I have like 6 or 7 but I do have other remote locations for them to be so your point is well taken (offsite is best) but how often does your house burn down, get robbed or flood.

Best way to sell something is promise to get you laid or scare you.

Or here's a crazy thought. Backup to an external drive and then take time and burn a bunch of dvd's. keep everything organized. Also, maybe it's time to go through the pictures and print off some hard copies. I'm all for technology but sometimes you just have to go old school.

Check out Jungle disk operated by rackspace. The software works well and gives you choice to use amazon or their severs (rackspace) for storage, as well as an option to store your data encrypted.

....Also, maybe it's time to go through the pictures and print off some hard copies. I'm all for technology but sometimes you just have to go old school.

Something that I've been intending to do for way too long now. I have too many of the same, or near same pics. I don't want to be a cyber hoarder and spend even more time organizing my bits and bytes. When it comes right down to it I prolly want less then 5% of the pics I have. Thank god I never really got into taking videos.

Got to work up a plan.

... burn a bunch of dvd's... go through the pictures and print off some hard copies.

DVDs are not immune to the effects of aging and will likely be worthless in 20 years or less. Printing photos is a better idea, but obviously limited to how much you want to spend on all the gddam, over-priced ink!

For $150 for the top unit buy three. I have like 6 or 7 but I do have other remote locations for them to be so your point is well taken (offsite is best) but how often does your house burn down, get robbed or flood.

Best way to sell something is promise to get you laid or scare you.

SANDY......................