Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audio1fx

A 1st class fishing show on L.I. When/Where?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

What makes a good Fishing show? when and where would you guys like to see one?

winter/spring jan,feb,march,april?

nass/suff border rte 110? f'dale area? soo suf.guys can make it, Iie exp.?

seminars

manufact.

high end plug builders?

good food

local tackle stores that commit to clearance deals for u guys

instead of complaining about the past - lets come up with one that most will like?

The Rt. 110 business corridor is easily accessible and is located centrally on Long Island and would be an ideal location to hold a show.  Personally, I'm a surf fisherman so anything surf related is my preference.  Shows should definitely provide more product demos, seminars and discussions on new techniques and ways to support the preservation of sport fishing in our local communities.  Oh yea, quality vendors and products are always a plus too.icon14.gif

I'd love to see a fishing show in West Hampton so some of us east end guys could get to it a little easier. I enjoy the flea market approach and especially like the wheeling and dealing...otherwise I don't need to travel 140 miles round trip if I can get the same stuff at the same price locally from a local shop.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, how about a two day national event that would attract both national exhibitors and flea marketer type exhibitors with a major portion of the attendee fees going towards beach access and the legal costs to defend access to said beaches. Better yet make this show in Vegas. The International SURF Angler show.

Seriously, a show that would deliver four hundred booths with a central theme of "access defense" would be a wonderful venue. I am not talking about a trade show for the

industry..there already is one, I am talking about the hundreds of fishing related companies exhibiting at a two day grass roots event for surf anglers and maybe thirty or so fishing organizations getting involved to make it happen. I know I'd travel to Vegas for that and turn it into a family vacation. Vegas might not be the best destination because the flights would be too expensive...but Atlantic City,who knows?

This might work ,even at the coliseum or the Javits center.

I beg your pardon Rob..I know you were looking for a L.I solution.:)

Here's my take on it. Jersey has about 3-4 big shows that have been established now for a long time. I talk to a lot of the vendors at all the NY shows Nd flee markets and they all want the same thing. They want a mega venue with lots of room and more than 1 day.

The problem is the high end venues like the Hilton and Marriotts want big $$$$ to rent this space. When Willy was doing the Marroitt Show over in Islandia the vendors all complained about the cost to rent space. I think that's one of the reasons why it didn't happen this yeAr, I could be mistaken. In my honest opinion a bigger venue isn't always better. I know the longIsland crew do t mind spending $35 on a table at the local flee markets.

I see where this is going. Keep at it Rob and make it happen ;-)... Good seeing you the other day bud...

Like Jetty guy said, I would be looking for close out bargains to rack up in the off season. That would be my main reason to go. Custom plug and rod vendors are always cool. But really looking for bargains if I'm going to dish out $10 at the door plus gas and tolls. It irks me to see some vendors with items that all tackle shops carry at full msrp retail price at these venues. Seminars are ok, but now i only attend specific topic seminars.

As for location, it doesn't matter to me as long as its a promising event. Out of all the shows in LI, I liked Islandia's show. Sorry to see it didn't happen this year. The worst show I can recall is the Suffern expo show, I wanted to leave after 10 min. My favorite is Surf Day. Surf day is great because it was for a specifically targeted audience, unlike "expo's".

and this is why i usually never go to these events almost retail for things i can get at the bait store

or online cheaper.

we need better places with more vendors

This is the porpose of this thread? to find out what guys are looking for in a good show. a 1st class show, a combo of special pricing - rod/plug//lure builders - speakers -

Come on guys chime in! the clearer sense of what we are looking for in a show for long island this thread shows? the better shows might come our way next years to come.

Surf day in N.J. is a great format.Lots of lure builders,rod companies etc.Perfect mix for a surf crowd.It is held at a community college.

:hi5: very well organized and run just the pricing was pretty much retail and I stopped at each booth at a minimum of twice. very few "sale items" a tackle store from seaside hights had some of the best sale bins @ that show.

First fishing show I ever attended was the first RISAA show in Providence

To me this is the perfect type of show to 'mimic' in Long Island: Lots of new gear, seminars, exbihotors, plug makers, etc.

Would like to see the addition of the 'flea market guys' as well to something like this

As far as location: if you have it they will come

Granted the 110 area is a good place, as well as say St Joes in Patchogue

I'm sure there are a few local churches that have space that they would be willing to rent over a weekend (thinking of something like St. Lawrence in Sayville - have the auditorium in the old school and can use the classrooms for seminars, additional vendor space, etc.)

As far as food - I could personally care less - I'm not there to eat

When there was the show a year (or two?!?) at farmingdale I thought that was a good setup - had all the plug makers in one spot and then the main room for tackle shops, etc and then the seminar space

Belive the cost of that was a bit much, but I'm sure Willy can fill in the blanks for sure

Surf day in N.J. is a great format.Lots of lure builders,rod companies etc.Perfect mix for a surf crowd.It is held at a community college.

Just an FYI, they're actually outgrowing the space at that college. They would like to go to a bigger space, but it would mean a higher entry fee.

As far as a LI show, you'll need one or more clubs to work together and set up something nice. Biggest obstacle will be finding a big enough space that's reasonably priced. It seems like no one wants to travel. My belief is that a one hour ride is more than reasonable. I've done RISAA, Surf Day (NJ & River's End), and Berkely, and would have no problem doing them year after year.

Just an FYI, they're actually outgrowing the space at that college. They would like to go to a bigger space, but it would mean a higher entry fee.

As far as a LI show, you'll need one or more clubs to work together and set up something nice. Biggest obstacle will be finding a big enough space that's reasonably priced. It seems like no one wants to travel. My belief is that a one hour ride is more than reasonable. I've done RISAA, Surf Day (NJ & River's End), and Berkely, and would have no problem doing them year after year.

Thinking the same. A couple or a few clubs getting together would be nice. The central location is the tough part at a decent

Price.