Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowcatcher

Scent

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone put scent/oils on their lures?  If so, does it help?  Make your plug bag stink?  I tried a search for "scent" in the forum, but didnt see any prior posts.  Thanks!

For the past few years I've drenched yellow & black Orvis deceiver flies (used as a teaser above Fin-s) in Fin-Essence bunker oil, cast them at dusk in an inlet and consistently caught weakies. No major size but not bad for summer weakies, average 20 to 22 inches.

I did the same with white, 4 inch sassy shads on jig heads and caught keeper fluke and bass at night, again all inlet fishing. Ironically, tried shedder crab oil, but never had the same results. Also tried bio-edge scents, not as effective. I'll stick with Fin-Essence bunker oil. Stuff works.

Definitely the gel, its thicker then the oil. Its more like a chap stick type gel. I'll be honest that I haven't used it for bass up here yet. I use it all the time in Florida when I fish the flats for redfish, snook, and big sea trout. And it does work and works dam good. I bought the bunker gel over the winter and figured what the heck I'll try it up here.

I have the Bio Edge Wand.  It's basically the same as the product T Raw uses as it's like a big chap stick.  But here's a warning about the liquid type products.  I had the Bio Edge Potion a few years back and carried it in my bag.  One night prepping for my next outing I grabbed my bag and noticed a dark spot on the bottom of my bag.  Touched it and it was wet.  By now you know where this is going.  It was one awful mess.  So if you ever feel like giving the liquid scents a try keep them sealed in a zip lock bag. 

The stuff definatly works on all fish. I used crab oil on my gulp when I went ling fishing this past month and I caught like the guys that knew what they were doing. I figured the ling have these wiskers on their chin so they must have some smellers going on, and they did. This stuff had some thickness but still only lasted about ten minutes and you could smell it yourself.

Does anyone put scent/oils on their lures?  If so, does it help?  Make your plug bag stink? 

Yes, yes, and yes

If you smoke you have to use something to cover the smell that's transferred to your plug from your fingers.

I'm a smelly Jelly fan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

Yes, yes, and yes

If you smoke you have to use something to cover the smell that's transferred to your plug from your fingers.

I'm a smelly Jelly fan

this ^^

Thanks all, great tips. Guess sax doesnt like menthol. Def going to try the gel instead of liquid. Do u all just use the bunker flavor or do ubmix it up to try and match - i noticed u can get diff flavors... i bring enough stuff out with me.