Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhorsley

Guatemala report

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

just got back from Casa Vieja Lodge in Guatemala. I fished 7 days with my groups. It was slow by Guatemala standards--cold water was the villain. One day we raised 29 sails and only had 3 bites--fish were unhappy as the water was 3 to 4 degrees below their liking.

Wished i had stayed longer as the weather here on the OBX is junk!

My second group fished four days and it was slightly better--i fished on the Rum Line with two buddies and i think we went 14 for 17 on sails. The others fished the Intensity and released 17 or 18 fish. The lodge was it's usual over the top as were the crews on our boats. Look forward to my return in December.

If you get bored here is a link to more trip images

http://hgphotos.smugmug.com/Other/Guatemala-2013/28582315_8xpXdt#!i=2423440860&k=dqdK96C

I think a properly teased sailfish will eat any color. I really like dark red --but the Lodge buys 1200 pink Cam Seglers each season. They furnish the flies and rigging.

yes always c&r --illegal to kill any billfish in Guatemala --The crews take great care of the fish--you get one lap dance per trip unless it is an unusual large or special fish.

Here is a video from the trip. I posted a video last year and a **** storm of epic proportion followed. Bill fishing on fly is not to everyones liking and i hope not to offend anyone:)

Great Video Brian. Casa Vieja does a wonderful job. All their captains and mates are so good at their jobs. Can't wait to get back there. Does Tred still have an affiliation with them?

thanks. A coupe of us shoot the video but Sarah does the editing ---i am not close to smart enough

Not sure about Tred

it is fun anywhere--but Guatemala and Casa Vieja is blessed with a ton of fish for the most part and outstanding crews.