Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
little striker

NJ Architect/Engineer advice - new homeowner renovation

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Hope I dont get killed for posting a non-fishing related query here (probably belongs in the Tavern) but figured my fellow NJ guys would know best.

So I purchased my first house 2 weeks ago and it is a small Cape Cod fixer-upper located just outside of Morristown. The second floor needs to be re-worked (the bathtub is crammed into a slanted roofline - no windows etc) plus the roof needs replacing. My leaning is to build a big shed dormer along the entire back of the house. I have a fishing buddy that is a builder and he is going to help me with the construction piece but I need to get drawings done and Im at a bit of a loss.

My buddy put me in touch with the architect he uses but for the drawings with site visits etc was quoted at $2800.00 We were both a little surprised by the kinda high cost and I was wondering if any of you had experience, or advice. Is $2800 reasonable?

I know with a big visible job I should do this the right way and get permits etc. but I am trying to be as economical as I can (in order to save some cash for fishing this spring :) )

If you know of a good reasonable architect engineer I promise good mojo in return for a PM. :)

:help:

If you have any knowledge to share I'll be forever grateful.

Tight lines,

Frank (little striker)

Ask him for a quote for just the working drawings.

I can't say whether or not $2,800 is expensive or not and the best way to find out is to meet with other Architects.

Word of advice, however, if you are going to consider a back dormer, and need a new roof anyway, consider going up all the way around. If you can afford it, it will make for a much nicer and more comfortable home.

Impossible to tell if its too expensive, or too cheap. Just not enough information. The problem about estimating projects like this sight unseen, is that there could possibly be a lot of structural work needed to the existing house to support the new addition, therefore more architectural work to create the construction documents.

A general estimate of architectural fee's is ±10% of the construction cost. How much does your buddy expect the project to cost?

If you are doing the work yourself, its probably best to have a thorough set of drawings to follow since you lack the experience in the building trades.

Thanks guys!

The family discounted estimate for the construction and roof is around 14k (doesnt include finishing the bathroom, and just throwing up drywall)

The construction will be done by his guys, but I tend to agree that proper drawings are going to be needed.

If I was going to reach out to another architect for comparison, are there any resources that would be helpfull in finding a reputable one>

Impossible to tell if its too expensive, or too cheap. Just not enough information..........

..................If you are doing the work yourself, its probably best to have a thorough set of drawings to follow since you lack the experience in the building trades.

Charlie is a sage. The man knows of what he speaks........

He recently gave me some helpful advice related to my project/architect that was greatly appreciated. A wise and generous friend.

Good luck with your project.