Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
don.spencer

new to Kayaking

7 posts in this topic

hi all,

I have a folding kayak, it's made by a company called Folbot, website is www.folbot.com

I've had my kayak for several years and I've done a lot of fishing in it over the years. My fishing experience with the kayak was all in small lakes, beaver ponds, rivers and the like in western Canada. I moved here to New Jersey in the fall of 1998, I'm really enjoying fishing off the beaches and once got brave enough to put my kayak in the surf. it was about as calm a day as you're likely going to get. I got a wave in the face getting out into the water, once I was beyond the break it was fine, on the way back in, a larger wave came right over the back of the boat and swamped me. Needless to say, I was pretty discouraged. I sure didn't plan on getting wet. I can buy a skirt for the boat, but all my gear would be underneath it, I'm thinking perhaps I ought to not mess with the surf.

I live in Brick, not far from the Manasquan river, Metedeconk river and Beaver Dam creek. I just don't know where to try fishing or really even what to fish for.

my kayak (folbot) is 17' long, weighs 65 lbs. It seats two easily and all their gear.

Don, welcome to the board. There are lots of places to go especially since you're already in the vicinity. Check with yoiur local tackle shops. Inside IBSP should be an area you frequent. What days do you fish? As with all open cokpit type yaks I'd stay away from the surf and rough water. That's why I strongly reccomend SOT (sit on tops) because they're much more versatile and safer.

thanks for the reply Jon, I'm sure not going to test the ocean side until it's warm enough and practice with my kayak empty, no fishing gear etc.

On a calm enough day, one would think you should be able to time the breakers and get out without getting wet, coming back though, the waves are behind you.... I guess the trick would be to parallel the beach until you can time a flat stretch and scurry on in.

fishing the inlet side on IBSP sounds pretty good too. I'll just have to experiment a bit, it's a lot of water and I know the fish move around. I'm not fussy about what I can catch, just enjoy fishing in general.

I work regular day shift, 8 - 5 up in Tinton Falls, I probably wouldn't be able to do much with the kayak other than weekends or perhaps evenings when the days are longer in the summer.

Hi Don, welcome. Im a first season yakster, best move I made in a long time. one thing I saw in yer post, re- Barnegat Inlet, this is no place for a yak. its perhaps the hairiest inlet around and the boat traffic is nasty for us little guys especially after the silly season starts. you'd be better off behind IBSP like Jon said, lots of sod banks and shallow flats the floatilla cant invade. tight lines

I'm ready to give the IBSP a whirl. I have heard about fishing the sod banks, but I have no idea where they are. how far out? how deep is the water there? Are there any maps of that area?

I dont fish there often but the folks at Betty and Nicks are always very friendly and free with the advice. Good Luck.

I also fish out of a sit in Kayak, and have been swamped a couple times, even with a spray skirt on. It takes patience and practice in timing the incoming waves. I have launched from LBI and Hatteras a few times and seem to do better every trip. Knowing the beach terrain helps, lots of scouting prior to launching and time spent on the beach at low tide helps. The worst I have had to come back in were probaly 4-6' seas after a sudden wind change down in Hatteras. A little hairy but with practice it gets more pedictable. You just have to be ready to exit the boat as quickly as possible.