Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johndtuttle

Unofficial return of the 706Z Poll thread

Rate this topic

242 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew C. View Post

Because the original version is old, out dated and essentially a POS. the reason it was successful in the first place is that it was less of a POS than the other reels of its day. Time has moved on and that dinosaur is extinct. It doesn't work in today's world, unless you want to load it up with some 25 pink ande, lash it to a 10' honey colored fiberglass rod ( and maybe scramble for parts since penn realized it was a dinosaur and stopped supporting it sometime ago).

I have to say that made me chuckle a little bit 

Because the original version is old, out dated and essentially a POS. the reason it was successful in the first place is that it was less of a POS than the other reels of its day. Time has moved on and that dinosaur is extinct. It doesn't work in today's world, unless you want to load it up with some 25 pink ande, lash it to a 10' honey colored fiberglass rod ( and maybe scramble for parts since penn realized it was a dinosaur and stopped supporting it sometime ago).

POS ...... I don't think so. That old Penn Reel was way ahead of its time. If the original owner of Penn ( the German Guy) were alive today he could build the reel I suggested to the Penn Guys and sell it for $ 249.99.

lol POS thats why so many of them are still being used today, right? I pretty sure they stopped making parts around the time the Penn company changed hands.

:agree:

Bingo!

Yeah Drew, I have to disagree I used a 704's and a 706 until 2 years ago. I wouldn't say POS..

johntuttle, If they can semi seal it and do some other cool stuff to it at the $250/300 range.. I guess it makes sense.. doesn't matter anyhow I have to get one no matter what that goes without saying!!

Wow! That is funny! I actually think you believe what you are saying. Are you saying that anyone who uses mono is a caveman? Or a fiberglass rod? So if anybody's rod on the beach doesn't have Fuji K guides and a CTS blank, we can assume they are less capable fishermen than those with the high tech stuff? Has anybody told the striped bass?

Yeah Drew, I have to disagree I used a 704's and a 706 until 2 years ago. I wouldn't say POS..

johntuttle, If they can semi seal it and do some other cool stuff to it at the $250/300 range.. I guess it makes sense.. doesn't matter anyhow I have to get one no matter what that goes without saying!!

Yea, I'm not a big seal guy (my fishing doesn't require it) and am more a pack it with grease and maintain it often (probably crack my reels more than needed, Northern California is not a surf fishing paradise and I service them for fun).

I get more excited by simplicity and strong materials hence my recent conversion to an admirer of the Torque Spinning. I have a 720z that is my trout pride and joy, have never fished a 706 etc. I can get better performance out of some plastic Diawa or Shimano (lighter, better casting etc), but a simple tool like the 720z that can last 40 years has to be appreciated at some point. I would truly hate fishing if there were only disposable reels mass produced for a price point available.

best

ps I do also admire my Stellas and my Stradic of course, as they are engineering marvels in their own right. Apples and Oranges.

Wow a picture is definitely worth a thousand words. I bet there's a popcorn shortage in Philadelphia as we speak. :laugh:

No clue as to what Penn has up their sleeve. I do hope it will be a hit. So then maybe they might consider a baby baja special for us west coast guys . :drool:

I love my POS 706s.............King Mackeral and Cobia hate'm !!! I/AR might be nice but not really needed. Different colored anodized versions would be cool.

[img=

I've heard rumors of this since last fall when I was out at the Surfcasting Capitol of the World and unless they can come up with a Sealed 704/706Z with a price-point of say around $350. Anything less/more is a waste of time and money in my opinion...
I'd have to agree with this statement

I would like to see the 704 greenie return, but as a throw back. The same reel same parts nothing different maybe a fancy brass token on the side. I understand this is a pipe dream I'm sure the dies and tools used to produce this reel went the way of the dinosaur because of its long production run but it would be nice to have one that was mine and only mine not second hand. A 704/706 that is completely redesigned ie fully sealed, braid friendly, aluminum body etc etc is not a 704/706 it just bares the name, at that point if you want a deep spool style reel with a rotor cup baring all these features, there is already one that has been field proven being sold on the market today rocking this same old school tech with some fancy guts and an anodized coating so I really do not see the point in bringing back a name for nostalgias sake.

You wanna know what's a POS? The last three Chinese Penns I purchased in the past five years. I can't really say that I have been happy with one. I grew up fishing the Penn's and its all my dad would buy. I think the company went downhill a bit and they are making a come back but their overseas models are still cheaply made.

I do not understand another surf reel from penn at this time. They have an excellent high end surf reel the Torque. They have a lower end reel (which I own) the Spin V. I say address the Spin V issues, bring it home to Philadelphia, and sell for $250.