Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johndtuttle

Unofficial return of the 706Z Poll thread

Rate this topic

242 posts in this topic

Penn has cryptically posted this intriguing photo:

Which has generated some interesting discussion :).

In this thread for kicks and grins I will attempt to collate the responses to the following questions:

1. What is the ideal size? (ie 706z, 704z, 710Z, 720z?)

2. What is the ideal Gear Ratio? (ie 4:1, 5:1, 6:1?)

3. Instant AR or only Dogged, or Both?

4. Braid friendly line lay?

5. Price? (ie <$100, <$150, <$200, <$250, <$300)

6. Sealed or non-Sealed?

7. Handle knob, round or paddle or egg?

8. Bailed or Bail-less?

9. Greenie or Black/Gold or other?

I'll go first:

1. 706Z

2. 5:1

3. Instant

4. Braid ready if possible

5. <$250

6. Non-sealed

7. Round

8. Manual Bailed

9. Greenie

Hopefully people will chime in and we can get some feedback for Penn. :D

best

ps. feel free to post other poll questions I may have missed and I'll try to add them as long as I can edit the post.

I've heard rumors of this since last fall when I was out at the Surfcasting Capitol of the World and unless they can come up with a Sealed 704/706Z with a price-point of say around $350. Anything less/more is a waste of time and money in my opinion...

Well this is confusing and i don't really see where it would fit, even if they could change things around with the faster gear ratios etc.... The thing that really surprises me is the not caring too much if it's braid friendly or not, imo it's got to be very braid friendly, period. And this short statement by Penn leads me to believe Penn is fully behind the SSV models.

In summary we are committed to making the Spinfisher V live up to the claims of drag, water tight, weight, etc. We will be monitoring this (and other) forums for any issues, if you see a performance issue please feel free to bring it to our attention so we can research it.

Thanks,

PENN

Why all the speculation, Penn baited the hook and should reveal their plans, this is just silly.

Well this is confusing and i don't really see where it would fit, even if they could change things around with the faster gear ratios etc.... The thing that really surprises me is the not caring too much if it's braid friendly or not, imo it's got to be very braid friendly, period. And this short statement by Penn leads me to believe Penn is fully behind the SSV models.

What I am guessing is that this will be the $250-300 reel with Marine Bronze gears and a Stainless pinion etc. but based on the uber simple design of the past to keep costs well under the Torque.

best

I've heard rumors of this since last fall when I was out at the Surfcasting Capitol of the World and unless they can come up with a Sealed 704/706Z with a price-point of say around $350. Anything less/more is a waste of time and money in my opinion...

My thoughts 100%

Sounds about right to me !

What I am guessing is that this will be the $250-300 reel with Marine Bronze gears and a Stainless pinion etc. but based on the uber simple design of the past to keep costs well under the Torque.

best

I know what your saying John, i'm just a little baffled as to why now and why this is all of a sudden possible when in the past it wasn't . As you can see below it seems Penn was correcting the issues that many have complained about. Does this mean that the SSV's are corrected and nobody should have any more issues?

Pinion – we have yet to see this “thread stripping” issue on any size SSV and so we’ve contacted Alan to see if he will send us the reel for review/repair. Can’t add much other than once we get the reel back we’ll review and reply to the group so that everyone knows what we’ve found.

Drag – the SSV reels were tested at well over their published drag ratings, I can personally tell you that 35lbs on the 8500 is not hype or hearsay, it’s what we expect the reel to be able to handle without issue. I’m reading comments that people are fine with the reel if it will only handle 22lbs...which makes my stomach cringe. False advertising is not part of our program. These reels can and will handle the drag ratings that are listed online, not sure what happened in this instance but we’ll know more once we see Alan’s reel.

Weight – I would agree that this discrepancy is due to additional grease in the reels. We will be verifying the weight of each of the reels and will update them (catalog, website, packaging) sometime this year.

Water Intrusion – again...most of the SSV reels on the market do live up to the “watertight design” definition. Unfortunately a percentage of the initial production reels did allow for water intrusion, and we are dealing with it. This is another area where we will not back off the marketing claims, it was designed to be watertight and when assembled correctly it is water tight, we will refine the product so that it lives up to the claims.

Knocking – we have heard from roughly 7-8 consumers that there is an issue with knocking...we’re now in the process of investigating the issue. Since there are a relatively small number of reels that are affected, it has been very difficult to get samples back for review. We finally got one, reviewed it, were able to duplicate the knocking, and came up with a possible fix for it. We now have a prototype in the hands of an SOL member and he’s testing it for us.

Has the above been completed? Seems odd to start another reel when one still needs some fine tuning.

Ok. Why?

My thoughts 100%

Why?

Why?

The point being is that 99% of all reels sold are non-sealed, including those used for fishing in the surf. What in your opinion is the requirement for this particular reel to be sealed? I can think of some, but want to hear your thoughts.

best

I don't think that would make much sense to Penn, it would take away much of the Torque's sales. I know a ton of people would kill for a long cast model with upgraded gearing , that is what people want and they have made that loud and clear. Sounds to me it would be a lot simpler to just add those wants to the SSV models and watch how fast sales take off.

You take the two biggest complaints by the masses which are( #1 ) upgraded gearing and( #2) a long cast spool and you have a winner, address two aspects instead of a whole bunch that will be needed when dealing with a new reel ..

I know what your saying John, i'm just a little baffled as to why now and why this is all of a sudden possible when in the past it wasn't . As you can see below it seems Penn was correcting the issues that many have complained about. Does this mean that the SSV's are corrected and nobody should have any more issues?

Has the above been completed? Seems odd to start another reel when one still needs some fine tuning.

From experience in other industries (tents, back packs, goretex jackets) fixing something that is manufactured in China versus projects in the home factory are completely separate time lines. There is plenty of "downtime" waiting for new seals to arrive for testing etc. to be working on many,many projects at a time.

It just depends on what resources you have and how big your product line up is. Penn probably has a dozen project going that we have no clue about.

best

Ok. Why?

Why?

Why?

The point being is that 99% of all reels sold are non-sealed, including those used for fishing in the surf. What in your opinion is the requirement for this particular reel to be sealed? I can think of some, but want to hear your thoughts.

best

Its a NE thing, bet you ask every guy fishing on Long Island and points North using a older model packed with grease reel will give you the same answer . The company already has a lower end water resistent ( Spinfisher) reel and a tougher sealed high end reel ( Torque) What we need here on the East Coast a reasonable priced surf reel that can be dunked / swam with and hold up to the demands that this area dishes out season after season that will not break the bank account..

Steve

From experience in other industries (tents, back packs, goretex jackets) fixing something that is manufactured in China versus projects in the home factory are completely separate time lines. There is plenty of "downtime" waiting for new seals to arrive for testing etc. to be working on many,many projects at a time.

It just depends on what resources you have and how big your product line up is. Penn probably has a dozen project going that we have no clue about.

best

Fair enough, i wish Penn much success in whatever they decide to do, i want to see them get their well deserved reputation back, made in the good ol, USA does matter.