Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cisco

First Kayak Fishing trip

10 posts in this topic

First off I would like to thank all the people that post in this forum. I knew nothing about kayaks or kayak fishing about 4 months ago. I found this website thru google and got hooked. I have learned a lot by scanning thru the post. I am now the proud owner of a prowler 13. This last weekend I took my first fishing trip at Everglade city (Florida). It was a great fishing exprience and I am looking forward to more. I caught a lot of cat fish (which I ate) a couple of snappers (too small to keep)and a black tip shark (4 or 5 feet). I let the shark go because I didnt want to bring it on the kayak (I cut the leader). I still need to trix out my kayak but getting there is half the fun.

Thanks again to all and keep on posting!

everglade.jpg

[ 05-05-2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: cisco ]

I actually was scared of the shark thrasing too much on the kayak and I also would have to bring it in and clean it ,just seemed like too much work. I also didnt have a big enough cooler in the truck and had about a hour drive back home. Next time I will keep it for sure.

everglade2.jpg

awesome story and pics.....

I hope this isn't a dump question but I never caught anything that big off my yak....was there any danger of that shark pulling the yak over?

great pics Cisco - that wink.gif in my post meant that I was kidding about the boating the shark remark !

just a little tongue in cheek - again, great 1st trip !

To yakster: I didn't feel any danger of tipping over. When the shark took the bait(small shiners that I caught under the inlet bridge with a cast net(see pic2 below))my rod doubled over hard, keep in mind that this was the rod that was in the holder behind me, at first I thought I had a tarpon because I saw a splash about 50 feet away. I had to put the rod that I had in my hand in the other holder and reach for the one that the shark was on. My reel was spinning like crazy.

On the first run it took a quarter of the line I had on the reel. I was worried that it would pop my line because I was anchored so with one hand I brought up my anchor(10lbs mushroom) while still holding the rod, after I put the drag on hard medium and I kept reeling and he kept pulling I'm not sure how far he dragged me (maybe 200 feet not sure). once he got near the kayak he went in the other direction and I had to pass the line over the front of the kayak (this didn't catch me by surprise because of all the post that I have read here) the only problem that I had with this is that it caught the stringer that I had the catfish on (see pic1 below) so I had to untangle the line from the stinger. Up to this point I still didn't know what it was. Then all of the sudden I saw the fins and the face. I wish I had a picture of the grin on my face. Then I thought "no one is going to believe me if I don't bring it home", then I remember that I had my camera in the crate behind me. I took as many pictures as I could with out dropping the camera. Then I just cut the leader. At no time did I feel I was going to go over. I didn't mean to make the story so long but it's still fresh in my head and I recall all the details beside details make the story. Well I'm fishing again tomorrow (Saturday) I'll take some pictures and post them.

Pic 1 everglades3.jpg

Pic 2 everglade4.jpg

[ 05-06-2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: cisco ]

Thanks for the account cisco. Maybe now I'll paddle out to the mudhole and troll for mako cool.gif , then again maybe not biggrin.gif

BTW, if you work for Cisco I work for the competition.

Cisco, Are you kidding.Make the story longer next time. I want to hear about the 100lb Tarpon your going to hook into next week. You know the one that jumps clear over the yak and then drags you out into cuban waters and then the castro regime tries to arrest you but the U.S. coasties come to the rescue and there's a standoff with 50 caliber machine guns pointing at each other with you in the middle with the new world record tarpon laying across your lap. More florida stories please...

barrell