Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stonefish

West Palm Beach in June fishing opportunities

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Depending on my work schedule, I may have the opportunity in June to visit some friends in West Palm Beach.

I have a few questions I'm hoping others here can help me answer.

What species might I encounter during that time period?

Lastly, I have 8, 10 and 12 wt rods and a variety of lines. What rod weight, lines and patterns would you recommend for that time of the year?

Any guides you recommend?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

SF

Hi,

Capt. Dino Torino will probably post on this question.

You're there at the time when you can have incredible False Albacore fishing right there. You need a boat (most fly fishers hire a guide, such as Capt. Dino) and you go out and chum an area (mostly with live Pilchards, I think).

Schools of albies come up right behind the boat into this and you can score again and again. It's easy. LOTS of action.

Let Dino and others tell you.

I don't know what else will be happening at that time down around there then.

Best,

Mark

You'll be here for prime Albie fishing. 10 - 12 wt's rod's w/int., float, & sinking line's. .

Mark is right about how it's done. Also King Mackrel & some Mahi are around offshore Snook fishing is great under the dock light's

As for fly's crease fly's , clouser's (size 2 ) & bait fish pattern's (size 2/0 - 4/0 ) in all white , wh/olive , wh/chart , wh/pink. w/pearl flash.

You can also look up Capt Scott Hamilton of Fly Fishing Extreme Charters. He is a local who runs an excellent operation. I fished with him and begged to quit before the day was done because we caught so many albies I thought my right wrist was about to fall off. And to put it in perspective, I am fishing more than 55 years and am considered hard core.

Surf snook at day break thru mid morning is another opportunity and can be done from most any beach from Jupiter to West Palm. There are many public access parks, or short walks from parking areas. An 8- or 9-weight with an intermediate line is a good choice. Small bright flies. These fish will be right in the wash so don't wade in the water, stand back and work your fly right to the edge of the sand. If there's no wind, a cast at 45 degrees to the beach can be more effective than a straight out cast.

I would like to emphasize that this False Albacore fishing (at this time of year) is a great experience for those who would like to fight and catch a lot of hard fighting fish, and do so in a short amount of time.

If the weather is OK you ARE going to hook up. And if you're not that skilled, it's easy fishing, so you will hook up lots too.

For many it's a great weekend trip. Two days of this, at times non stop catching, is enough for most anglers. You can fly down on a Friday afternoon or evening, fish Saturday and Sunday and then fly back home Sunday afternoon or evening. And you've had SOME fishing trip. A weeks worth of catching in a day and a half or two days. When you get back you won't have to be embarrassed by the question, "But honey, did you catch anything?" You'll feel like a champ!

Tight Lines,

Mark

Great info, thanks to all that replied.

I've caught smaller Yellowfin and Skipjacks before in Mexico, so the Albies look like they would be a blast.

Kingfish look like fun as well, kind of like a larger Sierra Mackeral.

Now if I can just get the man to let me have some time off.......

Thanks again,

SF

Whats the average Albie size down there in June? The same 5-8lb fish we get in RI/CT in Sep/Oct?

Pigs - everytime I hit the Juno Pier for a week each year, I'm pretty sure I at least witness what would be a Massachusetts state record albie (my biggest is in the mid teens)...but then again, this past July, they ran small (for me)...only topping out at around 9 lbs and a number of them that were only 4-5 lbs, such as this one: