Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outdoorscout

Need a new reel

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get back to fly fishing after a few years absence. I own a 7 weight and 9 weight Sage rods. The #7 will be mainly used for freshwater for smallies and large mouth bass and occasional salmon. The #9 will be my salt water rod for stripers and blues.

I need a new reel for both. Would it be possible to just purchase one reel and swap spools? Or it's necessary to buy one for each? Any advice would be great! Also any particular brand? Thanks

-Outdoorscout

Question #1: It depends on the manufacturer. Some manufacturers make reels that can be used for multiple line weights by swapping spools. They accomplish this by making the two spools the same diameter but making the one for the lower weight line a large arbor and making the one for the higher weight a mid arbor. However with most reels you would need two completely different reels.

Question#2: SOL has a search function. The topic of reels has come up literally thousands of times. With a few seconds of effort you can find hundreds of opinions on reels. In reality, they are all servicable. It depends on your budget, how often you fish, and what your needs/wants are. You can get a bare bones click and pawl reel for under $50 that will do the job or you can spend over $1000 for a fully machined reel with a sealed drag that has the power to stop a tuna in its tracks.

Thinking about this for the first time, it seems to me that I'd rather have one good reel than two....less good ones. You might get a reel for 9wt with two spools. The big difference would be that you'd be carrying a ton of backing on the 7, but so what? It's not an ideal solution, but if you were determined to do it then you'd be good to go - even for the ;) occasional salmon. There are plenty of primo 9wt size reels around and, as mentioned above, you might find a good buy on the auction site.

A Nautilus NV 8/9 and a spare spool is gonna run you $900 new at MSRP. For that kind of money you could easily buy a something like a Lamson Litespeed for each rod, or you could buy a two cheaper reels and a spare spool for each.

As an aside for people asking for gear advice, you won't really get any useful information unless you tell us what your budget is. If $150 is all you got, people suggesting $500 reels is going to be useless.

If you insist on one reel your best bet is to look for a reel that is rated 7/8. They would typically be raterd for 200 yards of 20# dacron backing with a WF8F line. Now for the spool you want to use with the 9wt, if you are using an intermediate or full sink line you could probably get away with 200 yards of 20# because the line diameter is typically thinner for sinking lines. Alternatively you could either: cut a few feet off the end of the running line, use less backing, say 150 yards, or use gel spun backing since the smaller diameter will allow you to fit more backing on the reel. I am not going to suggest any particualr reels-you should do that research on your own. Go to reel manufacturers websites and check the capacity for their reels and the price and then decide.

Freshwater reel for smallmouth bass.....buy an inexpensive reel, there's no real danger with salt, sand or jetties. The saltwater reel can be had off the BST board or FleaBay ......I like my new Allen reel, well built, the guys there always willing to help and they have specials......check em out. Just looked at Cabela's Cabela's Prestige Premier Fly Reels 49.99. Let's face it you're just getting back so don't break the bank, have fun.

Yes, you do get what you pay for, but since the OP didn't give enough information, I am assuming the desire to buy one reel and use it for two different rods was motiviated by cost. If that is the case, spending $900 is just plain silly. Also my experience is that once you get above around $200 there isn't really any performance difference between a $200 reel and a $600 reel or even an $800 reel as far as the average weekend striper angler or beginner is concerned. As I said before, a $50 click and pawl reel would be perfectly servicable for most anglers. Even for the salt, if you clean the reel thoroughly after each use it will be fine. We are not talking about fishing for tuna here, we are talking about freshwater black bass, stripers, and blues.

I mentioned Lamson in my previous post because that's what I use for the majority of my fishing. My other heavily used reels are Van Stall and Ross. I have used my Lamson reels hard for 7 years now without any issues. Lamson makes reels that are good quality for the price point. A Litespeed will run around $350 MSRP, a Velocity will be below $300, and a Konic for about $150. All of those three reels have the same drag. The biggest differences are that the Litespeed is the lightest and the spool is a single piece. Also, Lamson releases new versions of their reels every few years so you might be able to find one new on the big auction site for half MSRP.

Good points. I used lower quality reels for years. I just had to make sure and clean them really well after each outing. Now they make reels that are very nice in the lower price range. Also picking up an older model of a good reel used on here is a great option. I've picked up some very nice set ups for less ten half what they retail. And you can usually tell how well it was take. Care of just by looking it over.

Thankfully there are a good number of people with money to burn who decide to buy high end gear when they get into fly fishing and then use the stuff once or twice and then give up. I have purchased plenty of second hand geat that looked to have been used only a handful of times or maybe only for casting on the lawn. I bought a 7wt Loomis GLX for under $300 that still had some gummy residue from the price sticker on the cork.

Sweet! I picked up two rods recently with the wrapper still on em. Never used. Lol gotta love that. I started out with a cortlandt 5/6 wt set up and used it for close to 10 years before I got into the salt. Even then I got one of the loomis economy $200 8wt with plastic crappy reel. Now I've moved up but I'm in the game for life so its money well spent.

Get a Lamson Litespeed 3x or 3.5. You can easily use either for both the 7 and 9. They're great reels and cost about $350. Look into the Lamson Speedster as well. It has a huge diameter.

Mark