Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beautifulmtairylodge

Chest mouted surf bag

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Funny, you mention this, as I was wondering the same thing. I was getting my fly fishing gear organized now that ice fishing is officially over for me and as I was cleaning out my chest pack, I got thinking how it would be nice to use it for the surf.

The one issue I can think of is that the pack would need to be tall to accomodate plugs and most chest packs are wide, but not tall. You could put tubes in sideways, but you would risk losing plugs that way I think. My pack comes with a removeable velcro flyattachment pad, and I have seen setups where guys take this out and use a plano box mounted to a thin fitted board with velcro glued on one side. You unzip the pack and it folds out like a little table so you can access you lures, etc. This guy was using it for small fresh water lures, etc., and that would work for bucktails for sure.

Even if you found a pack that was long enough to allow you to put in a couple tubes, I think it would be akward to remove long plugs as they would be pretty close to your face. It's no problem taking out a size 18 fly that way, but with big saltwater lures it might not work that well. Now, if you don't plan on getting in the water, then I'm sure there are packs out there that would work with a little modification, etc., but no company that I know of makes one that would drain or is rated for hardcore saltwater usage. Also, with zippers the saltwater is a real pain if you don't rinse 100%.

I will say that my chest pack could easily be used for tins, etc., and I have used it that way more than once, but for big boy plugs and dunking, that is a niche that is ripe for some custom guy out there--just need to figure out the design and make it saltwater indestructable.

Limited carrying capacity as a bulky bag out front could obstruct retrieving and seeing where you are walking.

More chance of snagging exposed hooks. Need to be more careful of putting plugs back in the bag to ensure no hook hanging out.

Probably it's just me, having loose plugs clanging against the tubes closer to my face will absolutely drive me nut fishing at night.

Limited carrying capacity as a bulky bag out front could obstruct retrieving and seeing where you are walking.

More chance of snagging exposed hooks. Need to be more careful of putting plugs back in the bag to ensure no hook hanging out.

Probably it's just me, having loose plugs clanging against the tubes closer to my face will absolutely drive me nut fishing at night.

However Im thinking the definite pro is the lack of fatigue.

I have one of these from recycled waders. I picked it up of ebay on the cheap so either way I'll use it for something. With the neck strap and waist strap I'll try it low on my chest / waist and see how it works. It will fit 3 large tubes for 6-9 lures depending on the lure. Nice quality pack too.

Might be OK in a back-bay environment, but out front, I don't think it would be practical (or safe). For the size and weight of the plugs most of us use in the surf, I would suspect that a chest pack is just going to feel bulky and in the way, like a previous poster said. We're not talking about a trout fly box and a spool of 6x tippet here.

You can slip a few tubes in a sling pack & carry it over your shoulder.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1558821/width/1000/height/1000]

Those tubes are a great idea...especially if you plan on traveling light OR plan on slinging eels and just carry a couple of plugs 'just in case'.

I haven't been able to find any in small quantities in sizes for larger plugs.

Anyone know where we can find 'em or others similar?

thanks

Might be OK in a back-bay environment, but out front, I don't think it would be practical (or safe). For the size and weight of the plugs most of us use in the surf, I would suspect that a chest pack is just going to feel bulky and in the way, like a previous poster said. We're not talking about a trout fly box and a spool of 6x tippet here.

It will hurt my back with the weight up that high. Also, if I'm getting pushed around from the waves, I'm not going to want to be pulling plugs out of a bag that is right in front of my face.

I can also imagine that a chest pack loaded up with a bunch of big plugs would get pretty heavy, quite literally a pain in the neck. My smallish fly specific chest pack can start to be somewhat fatiguing if I have any extra stuff in it, like small binoculars, etc., and it is only a fraction of the weight of a pack that would have plugs in it. Size is also an issue and again, my small pack is pretty much the limit of what I can tolerate on my torso while fishing and at the end of last year I used it less and less on shorter trips.

Simms Headwater Tech Pack