Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danflytr

Just another big fish from the Hydro Canals in New Zealand

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

:laugh: I need to start a trouting thread for opening day. :upck:

the last time i went out on an opening day i got mugged by 3 yo-yo's over a 9" state stockie. the spot i was workin only has one good hole and once you fish it out, it's dead for a good 45 minutes afterward. i was more than happy to leave while the 3 stooges cross each others' lines for no reason other than my amusement.

the last time i went out on an opening day i got mugged by 3 yo-yo's over a 9' state stockie. the spot i was workin only has one good hole and once you fish it out, it's dead for a good 45 minutes afterward. i was more than happy to leave while the 3 stooges cross each others' lines for no reason other than my amusement.

Thats a big fish even by NZ standards.

The last time I fished opening day my mono kept freezing to the tip of my rod while reeling in(lost a lot of planters fish) :( To keep from losing fish I had to dip the rod tip into the water and keep reeling until it stuck again. Using the rod tips flexability you could dip the tip(water warmer than outside temps) into the water and it will free the line ;)

When I was kid my Dad caught a big brown like that in the Connetquot River estuary on a Silver Ghost streamer.

Then the gits came, the fish are no more......... they rooned and doomed the place :(

:v:

I'm stuck fishing with my wifes cousin opening day. He is a good kid and we take out the plastic boat so its not that bad.

the 5 pounders dont get stocked till after opening day. i may hit flatbrook for the opener. it's so picturesque up that way. makes you forget youre in NJ

the 5 pounders dont get stocked till after opening day. i may hit flatbrook for the opener. it's so picturesque up that way. makes you forget youre in NJ

The other thing that will do that is moving.

I caught a fish twice that big on a piece of cheese while the fly fishers scoffed at me.

when I removed the fish from the creek, the water level in the stream dropped 6".