Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

Jig Head paint jobs, does it really matter?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I found at a garage sale a cheap bag of jib heads. Clean hooks, no rust, nice and sharp except the paint job was a bit messy. There are Smiling Bills, Spro Types, Diamond heads, and ball jigs of assorted size.

The cost was only a few dollars so I took a chance but the painting looks bad. Maybe that is why it was so cheap :)

My question is should I try and touch them up or use them as is? Will it make a difference?

I don't paint any of the jig heads I use for plastics... Bare lead is fine, I do however paint bucktails, even though I don't think it makes a huge difference.

It actually only matters if a certain color is producing ONLY which is rare.....though it does happen. A good jig fisherman can catch with a bucktail jig some pork rind/plastic tails with unpainted heads. Back in the early 70s out in Montauk there was a guy that fished 99% of the time with bucktails, he was an artist took lots of fish when plugs were not producing. He liked pork rind and carried jars in different colors.

Crappy paint chips and peels. IMHO it is worth to put a decent paint job on jigs. They look better and last longer.

I use this method often...it holds up as well as powder coating....I use both methods...the clear coat spray paint method is not crappy paint...I fish my jigs and they are long lasting and productive...

I'm a big believer in good paint jobs. This is especially true if tying a new jig.

Though not saltwater related, I tie a ton of steelhead and salmon jigs for fishing under floats or twitching. I'm not sure the fish really care, but I hate fishing a new jig and have the head all chipped up after fishing it a short time.

I've found using vinyl paint gives you the most durable finish. White base coat, color then a clear top coat makes an extremely durable head. You are likely to lose your jig before it will ever chip. For added attraction, add uv blast or uv topcoat.

SF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dansmith View Post

I don't paint any of the jig heads I use for plastics... Bare lead is fine, I do however paint bucktails, even though I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I always use paint, whether bucktails or plastic. Handling bare lead IMO gets on yours hands and eventually finds its way into your mouth. I doubt people use soap and water each time they handle a bare jig.

Also, paint adds color which is one way fish find their prey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcband View Post

To cover bad paint jobs....I used spray paint (white base coat, floresant top coat-like airbrush with a clear coat finish).

F

Powder paint works great too.

I'd like to know where that fly tying supply box with the piano hinges came from.