Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lurch4004

Redoing a wood floor.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a wood floor with some discoloration. Some of the old carpet seems to have made moldy looking discolorations. Is there a way to clean this or am I stuck with having to sand the whole thing? What do you recommend to try and clean? Or do you just recommend sanding? How much of a mess is sanding?

Should not be hard to attempt cleaning. 

If you do refinish, use a reputable company that specifies in their contract that they are responsible for dust. The room getting finished will be empty so it will have to be dust free for them to do a decent job, the rest is just sealing off other areas. I have seen guys dust out whole houses for  want of a $2 plastic drop cloth though.

You will need to verify that the floor can tolerate a refinish. Solid wood floors are good for a few refinishes but eventually sanding will reach the tongue and groove and the fasteners.I don't know how old the house is so... Some engineered floors may not be sandable if  the veneer is thin so make sure you and your contractor discuss all those possibilities.

WP

Its an older home. I think the discloration is from animal piss coming through the carpet and sticking the pad to the wood. Going to try scrubbing it. Then using mineral spirits to dry the gooey stuff. Then rub on linseed oil and hopefully wipe off the mess. Will probably sand off the rest.