Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jerseygofish

whats a good plugging rod for surf . Need help

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Can someone please give me some help in a good plugging rod for bass looking for something in 250 and less range. I have a 8 ft st croix now thinking i want something bigger any ideas. Thanks Rob

Hey Rob,

Welcome aboard. There is going to be a bunch of different opinions on this one, but 1st of all, what size reel are you planning on using for this new rod and how much bigger do you want to go.

You could look at the Lamiglas Surf & Jetty or the St. Croix Mojo Surf rods. These choices would be in your price range. Your best bet is to go to your local B&T and compare all of the different rods side by side and bring your reel with you to try on each rod. You will be able to take the rod out of the store and get a couple practice casts to see how she feels.

Everyones likes and dislikes are different, along with there body types. What might feel comfortable to you might be to tip heavy or to long in the but end of the rod for someone else. I'm sure once you try out a couple rods you will find something you like. A 9'6" to 10' rod would be a nice step up from your current 8'

Best of luck in your search.

Tight lines, Lami

Look at the "Early" Brand

Early Ears-94 MHR

YAM4G4 Blank

Lure14-50g Line PE 1.5-3.0

Made in Japan.

That´s the latest in Surf-Rod-Technology.

Not as stiff as GLoomis IMX and not so soft lilke other rods.  Just perfect! for minnow type lures.

Around 600 Dollars incl. shipping and handling.

looking for something in 250 and less range.

Around 600 Dollars incl. shipping and handling.

That's only $350 dollars more then he wanted to spend... :huh:

take a ride to the last fishing fleamarket of the long island show season. i know a buddy has 2 11ft ron arra's that did not sell sat. they are in perfect condition fact. rods 1-2 piece 1- 1-piece. it would be worth the ride. around 200 apiece. sat. march 30. @ the john a danzi athletic center of st joseph's college 155 west roe blvd patchogue ny 11772. there will be many other new and used surf rods avail.

it is easy to get to . the building is along the sunrise hwy service rd. also called "Rte27" besides there when i was in jersey for the sol food fling and berkley show in seaside hights there is a tackle store

on the bay as you come over the bridge w/ a good restaurant upstairs it has a pier and rents jetski's. very good priced custom built lami's for sale! very nice work and working mans prices. not sure if you are closer to there.

take a ride to the last fishing fleamarket of the long island show season. i know a buddy has 2 11ft ron arra's that did not sell sat. they are in perfect condition fact. rods 1-2 piece 1- 1-piece. it would be worth the ride. around 200 apiece. sat. march 30. @ the john a danzi athletic center of st joseph's college 155 west roe blvd patchogue ny 11772. there will be many other new and used surf rods avail.

it is easy to get to . the building is along the sunrise hwy service rd. also called "Rte27" besides there when i was in jersey for the sol food fling and berkley show in seaside hights there is a tackle store

on the bay as you come over the bridge w/ a good restaurant upstairs it has a pier and rents jetski's. very good priced custom built lami's for sale! very nice work and working mans prices. not sure if you are closer to there.

Better check on the hours of that shop in Jersey they may not be open. I know they have special hours on the off season.

100 yards with an 8' stick is about as good as it gets. Maybe with a 10' or 11' rod, you might gain another 25 yards. I'm a big fan of the 9' rod, does all I ask it to, and I never get tired, the bigger stuff wears you out in a couple of hours. Folks tell me the Lami 11's aren't fatiguing, combined with a VS 250 its a chore to lug around all night. A 9' Lami, Rainshadow or something along those lines combined with a Daiwa SS2600 reel and your good to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post

100 yards with an 8' stick is about as good as it gets. Maybe with a 10' or 11' rod, you might gain another 25 yards. I'm a big fan of the 9' rod, does all I ask it to, and I never get tired, the bigger stuff wears you out in a couple of hours. Folks tell me the Lami 11's aren't fatiguing, combined with a VS 250 its a chore to lug around all night. A 9' Lami, Rainshadow or something along those lines combined with a Daiwa SS2600 reel and your good to go.

I agree, I am a fan of a 9' myself i have a gloomis pro blue with a vs150 i never get tierd ...very light weight combo while walking my beaches and casting wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerseygofish View Post

Would I get more of a distance with a longer rod ? I can get about 100 yards or little more with what I'm using now .

It all depends of course. In general yes you should. I like the 9' Mojo 3/4-4 for the price range you mention. You should be able to pocket some $$ if you pick up a used one.