Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jenty

Your Back Bother You?

20 posts in this topic

I have a bad back, I had a disk removed about 7 years ago, and in the future I'll have to go for more surgery. Does your back bother you when your in the yak, and what things do you do to give you more comfort?

I presently have the STS Fishing seat with a foam pad and a gel set. I'm not sure how its gonna do, (because I haven't been out yet due to back problems frown.gif ) but I'm sure there will be some discomfort. Just looking for some ideas so I have something to chew on.

Thanks!

johnny

Jenty It takes time to get use to the seating position.First couple of times out after 2 hrs my arse was killing me .Each trip gets easier.Now I can go 4-6 hrs with little discomfort.

JoeV

I second what Joe said, first couple times for the season there will be some pain and but after that it's no problem, maybe some after a second 5-6 stretch in a day. I think paddling properly might actually be pretty good for your back but lounging around without correct back support will be a killer.

Jenty,

What yak did you buy. If it's a big SOT( I have a Fish n Dive) you can move your position around a little. If I'm out where I

can't beach it to stretch out, I will straddle the yak with a leg over each side and stretch the back a little. Also, you might want to adjust your seat so that the top of the seat back is leaning forward before you sit in it. Your weight will push it back to straight, and you will be in a good upright position.

Thanks for the info guys. Its not the kind of pain that goes away, its there for good. frown.gif I'm mainly looking for ways to be more comfortable while I'm out there.

Oz... I got the Fish-n-Dive in what ScottO calls 'Yum Yum Yellow'. I'm gonna look like a big bannana floating around out there. smile.gif I haven't had the chance to get out in it yet, but I'll try what you said when I do. Any chance I can set up a hammock on board? Maybe a support pole fore and aft? biggrin.gif

johnny

I'd bet you can stretch out and take a nap in an FnD. You should have a lot of options on how you can move around or recline, because I can get away with a lot on my Navigator and it's much narrower. The cockpit on the FnD is longer, so use that STS as a pillow and stretch out if you need to. Of course you might want to put out a drift sock or an anchor first; you don't want to drift away or into heavy traffic if you nod off. wink.gif

I'm mainly looking for ways to be more comfortable while I'm out there.johnny

johnny; S2S makes the highback seat with optional lumbar support. This is a bladder pillow that is adjustable vertically and has a bulb to inflate it and a releif valve to deflate it. It is very nice to have. I have the super duper extra nifty S2S seat with the Lumbar, Hydrator and rod holders. Good company. You may want to upgrade through a kayak dealer.

S1

I've got a fish n dive with a high back seat. After riding in a canoe and a KeoweeII, I admit I was tip shy and sucked my but cheeks to the Fish n dive seat, like a cafe on a udder. After 5 trips out I figured out that the boat is more than stable enough for me to strech and turn and hang my leg over the side and get comfortable if I feel my back tightening. I think a good match between you PFD and your seat helps. I changed mine after a few outing. Last time out was seven hour and no pain. It might have been my break-in peroid like some of the other guys have said. Just some thoughts...

Johnny, my back and knees get to aching after an hour or two. On the SOT I just turn sideways and dangle the feet over the side. Now my yak isn't yum yum yellow so I feel confident the sharks are not around. Also building up to it helps alot. Scott

SURFNHORNS, I have a closed cell 1" thick pad that came with an adhesive backing I stuck it under my sts and I'm very comfortable.I too have had disc surgery and as long as I don't over do it I'm good for 5 hrs with a couple of breaks thrown in.

------------------

Best time to fish ?? Now !!

I hope that paddling eventualy eliminates Your back pain by strengthining the muscles around Your injury. You need to take it easy at first. A 30 minute paddle the first couple days would not be to short. You dont say how heavy You are, but loosing wheight if You are heavy does wonders for back pain.

A butt pad under your seat and a thinner piece of foam on top realy helps. Thigh straps are a must on long paddles. They take alot of strain off the back.When You start to get stiff get out and walk around a couple minutes. Get an easy Yoga tape and do it every day.

Barrell

Jenty,

Being able to shift your weight and body positon are both keys to prolonging comfort.

Dangling your legs over the side, sliding down almost prone for a few minutes, doing some "touch your toes" stretches on occassion.

These are all valid ways to ward off discomfort.

A BIG factor in back comfort is keeping the lumbar region stabilized.

You can do this by either getting the STS seat that Sharpy mentiond or just roll up a towel and place it in the small of your back.

This will straighten you right up and keep you from slouching over.

No matter what you do though, after a few hours we're all goona get a little antsy.

Always a good idea to beach for a few minutes,stretch and walk a bit.

My 2cents!

The thing that bothers me is my *ss!! Damn, after about 2 hours I'm looking for land!!Tried a cushion under my seat with the same results. icon15.gif

That's called gravity dude. And gravity is no friend of yours'. tongue.gif

------------------

yueng.gifneeds_a_shave.gif

#371 wink.gif