Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irv Mac Dowell

Garmin Service? Or is it?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I have a year old Garmin 78SC handheld GPS for auxiliary use aboard my Caledonia Yawl. It worked fine last year, primarily as a compass and speedometer (my old eyes have trouble with the small mapping display), but when I tried to start it up again this week, the display would go only as far as the Garmin logo and then fail. I tried all of the online fixes suggested at Garmin's website to no avail, so I called this morning for service.

Here's what service on this unit apparently means:

For a flat $110.00, Garmin will take the unit back and supply me with a factory rebuilt unit--not a new unit, mind you-- but somebody else's repaired unit. I asked about condition of the rebuilt. Reply? "It will operate as new, but may have a few scratches etc." My unit is new in all ways except operating properly. So for $110, I get a used unit.

Is this Garmin's standard practice?

Best regards,

Irv

It was 'take it or leave it' 2 years ago when my up/down button all of a sudden quit working on my Garmin Rino 120. They sent me a used unit (in good shape) but it did not have the same features (lower rev level - unit had no SMS capability nor the ability to update, even though the one I sent in did). Went back and forth with them, until they finally sent me a new one. Also, be aware they could not save my waypoints or routes either.

Apparently, all units in need of repair are sent to Taiwan. Since Garmin can't, or won't, take responsibility for the original unit once it goes back to the factory, they simply provide someone else's rebuilt unit. The representative said, also, that he doesn't know if the unit will have the latest software installed, since the units often sit on the shelf for a long time.

Please note that this unit has probably fewer than ten running hours on it.

Looks like I've bought my last Garmin.

Best regards,

Irv