Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spug

Some Little EP's

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hey all.  Haven't been on here in a while.  Just wanted to share a couple patterns I have been playing with lately.  The top is a little pinfish imitation tied with a mix of steel blue and olive EP fibers for the back and white for the belly.  Going for that pinfish color effect.  The bottom is an attempt to match my favorite color DOA for the flats here in the Tampa Bay area, the black gold rush.  It's basically black and tan with a little gold angel hair mixed in there.  They've been doing pretty well on the reds here so far.  Haven't dropped one in front of a snook, yet, but I have a feeling they just might wreck it.

Agreed!  The trimming is tough to keep consistent.  I beat my head on the wall when I am tying them for a customer in numbers. wink.gif

I have found that the biggest things to remember are to keep the clump sizes and amount of ties as close to the same as you can on all of them, proper combing, and taking your time on the trimming.  

Thanks for the tip. I have been trying to taper the clumps as I get to the hook eye so maybe that's where I'm messing up. I like the shape you ended up with.

Nice ties! Less is more when tying with EP fibers. I have to remind myself to grab an amount similar to the diameter of pencil lead.

One variation I've been thinking about is a tail of four saddles and some flash.

EP fibers on top of shank tied hi tie. SF blend tied in on the sides. Finishing with some darker angel hair.

I have posted this suggestion up many times before with regard to trimming synthetics such as Slinky, EP, SFB Blend etc.,

When you have finished the fly, comb or brush it all out so the material blends, then give the whole lot a good coating of ladies (or gents) hairspray, and let it hang by the eye of the hook until the hairspray has dried completely.

Once dry, you will find the fibres are as stiff as a board, (If not give it a secondary spray) and with the aid of a pair of sharp scissors, it is then a very simple job to cut the fibres to the desired profile, with just 3 or 4 snips, in less than a minute

Sounds crazy I know, but I have been using this method for years now, and it makes shaping synthetic bait fish patterns a piece of cake

One other tip well worth mentioning.....It is much easier to cut the body profile with long bladed scissors, although looking at what you are attempting to achieve here, the tail is probably best cut out with the more normal 3" or 4" fly tying scissors. Look for a pair with at least actual cutting blades of at least 4 or 5"

Once you have achieved a proile to your satisfaction, you can either wash out the hairspray there and then, or as I prefer, leave the fly as it is, until you fish with it. I keep my baitfish flies in Finsport wallets or similar, and find that if I leave the fly as it is, and don't wash off the hairspray until I actually fish the fly, this helps no end, in maintaining the shape/profile of the fly while in transit.

Hope this helps.....and if you want an illustration of sorts, I did an sbs within the thread link below, coincidentally exactly 5 years ago to this very day,, which includes the hairspray treatment......

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/580158/an-ep-bunker

Most folk still laugh at this hairspray suggestion, but there are a few forum members who have tried it out, and noted the worth of this little trick.

My version of a Pinfish, I have been tying up for a good many yeasrs now with EP3D Fibres in Pinfish and Baitfish Belly colours, with a touch of Lavender EP blended between the two......Oh, and of course, trimmed with the aid of the Hairspray treatment.

Genty..I totally forgot about the hairspray trick ..Tied a few tonight and although I need a lot more practice they came out better than the others Ive done without the spray:) I have to practice a bit to get that nice shape Spug has on his.

Thanks to you and Spug for the tips!

This is getting good!  aland, the eyes are the new FishSkull Living Eyes.  They have pretty much replaced every 3D type eye I have ever used.  Thanks Genty for jumping in.  Very cool stuff!   Oh, one more trick:  I like to pull the fibers tight and measure the diameter of the clump to the hook shank diameter and match it.  Seems to work good on the sizes I tie.

Spug..how did you get the head of your flys like that ? Did you tie the clumps closer as you got up to the hook eye ? On the ones I did have a more rounded shape but I like the way yours came out better.