Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sorelippin

Fat bows love flies in the sping!

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Took the boy out this weekend and grabbed our daily limit of bows. While all the powerbaiters from shore were having no success, flies were the ticket for us. Filets were nice too!

Nice I struck out on metal

Try the old school brass super dupers or Joe's Flies (small coachmen series with gold blade). The fish I posted were from Saturday. Switched it up and hammered a ton of them on Sunday with the 2 I mentioned. Slow troll....again, all the guys with powerbait were not catching where I was. I don't like to sit and watch bait anyway and always had great success trolling in the canoe. Better luck next time!

Nice Bows!! There stocking the Northshore this week hopefully, gettin in to some fat bows would be great!

They have done some stocking the past 2 weeks on the North Shore. Not a lot of places but some here and there. Check out the F&G site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorelippin View Post

Try the old school brass super dupers or Joe's Flies (small coachmen series with gold blade). The fish I posted were from Saturday. Switched it up and hammered a ton of them on Sunday with the 2 I mentioned. Slow troll....again, all the guys with powerbait were not catching where I was. I don't like to sit and watch bait anyway and always had great success trolling in the canoe. Better luck next time!

The place I went to had a lot more ice than I expected.

Me too. Pain in the neck when the wind is pushing it around the lake. :squid:

-bd

Me too. Pain in the neck when the wind is pushing it around the lake. :squid:

-bd

I believe I know where you guys were. 2 places I know of had a lot of ice and fish were breaking the surface at ice edges but had lock jaw for the most part. Some people were able to grab one here and there over the last couple days in the 2 spots I'm thinking of but pretty quiet for the most part. It was weird....place a mile or so away was wide open. Windy as all get out but wide open.

How come those fillets are so red? Are those last falls holdovers?

Those are great looking fillets.

I've always wondered myself.  I believe it has to do with diet.  I also find the pink flesh to be much better eating.  Nice haul!!

They did stock the lake I went to and it's a once a year stocking (Spring only). I catch holdovers in other ponds/lakes but never heard of them from the lake I was at. That's a 15 inch pan and one was 16"+ and must have been pushing 2lbs for sure....very fat. I was amazed at how orage the filets were too. My friend was a fish biologist for MA some years ago and I showed him the fish and he said it's the diet as well. He mentioned something about crayfish in their diet. I checked the stomach contents and all I found were what appeared to be small 2" baby sunfish???? The 2 biggest ones were full of them.....their stomachs were stuffed! I can tell you they were some of the best tasting trout filets I've had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorelippin View Post

I believe I know where you guys were. 2 places I know of had a lot of ice and fish were breaking the surface at ice edges but had lock jaw for the most part. Some people were able to grab one here and there over the last couple days in the 2 spots I'm thinking of but pretty quiet for the most part. It was weird....place a mile or so away was wide open. Windy as all get out but wide open.

where were we lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

How come those fillets are so red? Are those last falls holdovers?

Those are great looking fillets.

Real dark and nice.  Mine are usually a bit lighter.