Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
titusg

Newbee in Virginia

16 posts in this topic

I'm new to Yak fishin and I'm looking for contacts in the Central Virgina Area. Anyone know of any clubs groups, or single interest in fishin a yak speak up. Thanks to Jons for the info. Saltwater,fresh, I will to try anything at this point.

titusg - glad you found your way over here. This is my second home. There's a great group here and plenty of guys who fish down your way. I know that several plan on hitting the Susky Flats. Again welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard titusgHappyWave.gif

Where in central VA are you planning to fish? Have Yak, will travel.

Darrell, how was the weather when you got home? Did ya hit the CBBT like ya said ya would? Itching to take a ride down to fish, Keep me informed..

I live in Northern VA, but look forward to yakfishing opportunities throught the region...

Where in Central Va are you from? I have floated a couple of sections of the Middle/Upper James for smallmouth in my yak and enjoyed it quite a bit.

shoot me a line at csalp@hotmail.com

Chris Salp

Hi Bob and all the gang,

First and for most thanks for a great time. Bob, thanks for the floor space, saved me some $$$$. Though I did not catch a fish, I had a great time and it was cool just meeting all the guys and seeing the different yaks and different set ups. Chris's wife yak was sweet, but no way was I taking that speed demon for a test run. I know I would have rolled it for sure. Anyway, I stopped on the CBBT at the fishing pier to check things out. It was windy and cold. Not as cold as up there but still had a nice chill in the air. I stopped at Chicks beach and walked out for a look. Nice waves that day should have had my wet suit and my surfboard. LOL So needless to say did not take the yak out. Went on up the road a ways to the Lessner bridge and fly fished for an hour at Lynhaven inlet. Nothing from shore. Saw a couple of power boats near by and nothing being caught. Same cold front hit here as did up there. Much damage to the fishing. They all went out deep and sounded. So will be headed out tomorrow after my daughters soccer game. Suppose to be close to 70 here tomorrow Should get out by noon. Low tide is at 2pm so I should be hitting it right for the low, dead and incoming tide. I will let you know. Take care and thanks for the great time. Oh Yea, Chris, George, Mike and all the Herring Live lining guys, what a hoot. Had never done that, what a great feeling when the striper takes that bait fish for a ride. Wish we could have hooked up on a large but maybe next time. Will be working that method on the channel near the Lesner Bridge and the CBBT this fall. Also going to Hatteras on sunday with the family, get this, the wife said to take my surf casting stuff, great lady huh. Ok willpost later with trip updates.

------------------

Va_Yakfisherman@yahoo.com

Titusg, welcome! HappyWave.gif

I'm a born and bred central Virginian but live in Baltimore now. Spent most of my life in Richmond ad still get down regularly to visit parents and grandparents. During the summer I get down to the Deltaville and Gwynns Iland area pretty regulary to fish. How about you, whats your favorite piece of water?

Chris

Thanks guys for the response. To answer the most outstanding questions. I'm located in Richmond,Virginia about four miles for the beginning of the lower James. I haven't fish the James yet in my kayak. I got the bug to fish about a year ago. Built me a wooden pirogue (12 foot) and spent more time trying to rig that wooden beast than I did fishing out of it. I knew I wanted to be on the water but the idea of a paying half a mortgage for a bass boat was to distasteful. Most of the boats I see just take up space in the someone's yard or drive way. I was surfing the web for a fish finder for woody and came across the idea of fishing from a kayak. Scary Sports? I purchase my kayak in January and finished rigging it up for fishing buy the end of the month. I'm using a Cobra Fish n Dive. After I got the boat home discovered that it just a little to big to be carrying around. So I got a Kayak trailer. I install that fish finder on the yak. My wife blessed me with a GPS and a compass. I install two rod holders in the hull, got two in my high back seat lashed every thing down, knife, pilers,net etc.. Basically I satisfied with the rigging and shaking out the bug in my setup. Now I need fish! I've been out in it three time this winter. Mostly in small waters and one small fish for my efforts. I consider myself a real novice at both kayaking and fishing. But I'm will to fish anywhere I can find the time. Hope to hookup with someone who knows! But frankly fish or not Kayak fishing is the stuff!

Greg, you got the aircraft carrier. I have one of them in the quiver and enjoy it alot. Now we have to get you catching some fish. Sefinately hook up with your neighbors on the forum who are in your neck of the woods. They'll get you some fish.

Titusg,

I'll be in Richmond for a wedding the weekend of May 11. Would you be up for a quick trip early Saturday morning? I've been out on the lower James a few times in a friends power boat, but never in my kayak. I doubt we'll find many stripers still around but some big catfish inhabit that area.

Chris

Catfish I don't know too well. I figure we try and get some big live bait together and try them for either species, then switch to chunks. You know more about the fishery?

Hopefully I'll be able to pull this off. You have a launch spot in mind? I'm staying at my mothers house in Westover Hills (just south of the "nickel" bridge).

Chris

I got out on the James Saturday. I used the ramp at Deep Bottom, just off of route 5 down Laburnm.

Thought I'd check it out for our launch. I was thinking LargeMouth, what I saw were large bronze fish breaking the suface all around me. Not one topwater lure in my hatch. I think they were smallmouth. After 2hours of casting worms and rappals I switch to some catfish dynamite and caught four small one, nothing to brag about, except I wasn't skunked this time.

I'm still researching stripers. Never caught one, haven't tried yet! But I'm hopeful.

Now live bait? What are you thinking, we caught em or purchase?

I plan to move futher down the James next weekend to scout some more.

Sorry Titus, but I think I have to bail on a quickie trip. My schedule just got a lit tighter for that weekend and I may end up driving down for the wedding that morning and taking off immediately afterwards for another event.

Hey, we'll try it another time, I get dwon to central VA pretty regularly.

Bummed in MD,

Chris