Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striperfever

Yak Pic's

11 posts in this topic

Would any of you care to post pics of your yak pleasesmile.gif

Im looking to buy my first Yak and just curious as to how all of you have your Yak set up for fishing?

I know you guys wanna show off your Yaks.wink.gif Alot of good ideas out there...

Thanks

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

Check out the "Show us your yak" post. I'll bump it to the top of the list so it's easy for you to find. Several of us have posted our rides there.

Chris

Woody:

Over the winter, I bought a Scupper Pro. I don't expect it to really be better than the Explorer, which I love, only different, though I don't know how. Thing is, I still haven't put it in the water. And I want to do that before I officiallly put the Cobra up for sale. It'll happen this weekend, I'm sure.

That said, here's the write-up I think I'm going to use on the Cobra, with my initial stab at setting a price.

Frick

Cobra Explorer, year 2000 model. This is one great kayak and it's outfitted very nicely for fishing. If you're new to yak fishing, please read the introductory essay at www.rbbsurf.com, the Web home of the Root Beer Barrell Surf Shop. That essay will enlighten you about a lot of kayak-fishing things, not the least of which is the layout of this boat, because this boat was outfitted by John aka Barrell at the shop and then further customized by me. It's really one heck-of-a-tricked-out craft. Check the pictures at http://hometown.aol.com/floete/kayakpage.htm

and read on. At the front, it's got the custom bungee straps criss-crossed on the deck, so when you've got a fish on, all you have to do to ditch your paddle is slide the blade under the straps and leggo; it's a sweet setup (and kudos to Barrell for its invention). The yak has two rod holders: one fore, a RAM-tube holder, the best made, bar none, ask anybody; and one aft, a very convienient Scottys. Both are, of course, in great shape. Comes with the center hatch, which you can't live without; it's great for small anchors, sunglasses, cell phone, binoculars, etc (and I know I'm going to miss it on my new Scupper Pro TW). Comes rigged with a great anchor-pulley system, made with tiny, precision sailboat pulleys; allows you to deploy your anchor anywhere around the entire circumfrence of the boat. Also has paddle clips on the left side. Also comes with the closed-cell foam seat padding, which really eases butt ache on the longer rides. And, lastly, you get the delux, high-back Surf to Summit seat, the best available (though the brass clips show some minor saltwater tarnish). I've gone through a lot of trial, error and expense to set up this boat just right for fishing, and if you buy it, you're going to really benefit from my toil.

The only negative about my Explorer is that it's got some scatches and small gouges on the bottom from being dragged across the sand and whatnot. It's nothing too terrible; the close-up pix of the bottom attempt to show the kind of scratches I'm talking about. Anyway, when buying a used yak, scratches are no biggy; it's cracks you've got to look for -- and this one has none, anywhere, not even close.

So, if you're looking to get a yak for spring and you want to go fully loaded, then maybe this is the boat for you.

I live in Pelham, NY, about 5 miles over the Whitestone or Throgs Neck bridges into Westchester County. If you want to buy the yak, you're going to have to come pick it up. My location is convenient to lots of places, including Manhattan, Long Island, Connecticut, Rhode Island (two hours from Westerly), and NJ.

Total new cost of the entire sheebang with all the extras: $754 (plus tax of, say, 8%, if you live where I live, for a grand total of $814). What I'd like to get out of the thing: $565. Or best offer.

If interested, email me at floete@aol.com

Barrell: Thanks for your offer. The TW seat area hatch can only be a 6"er, and I didn't want a screw-in type, and for the longest while that's the only kind I could find. Two days ago, I found a source for the 6" Viking hatch with the t-bar locks (such as the Explorer center hatches have) and mail-ordered one. Don't tell me yours are t-bar, cause I would have bought from you had I known.

Thanks Porter, I will check that post out!

Hey Barrel.... I would like to stop by your shop on Sunday, what are your hours???

Thanks

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

Striper Fever, Sorry I missed you but I had to get out of jersey and do a little turkey hunting. My truck arrives tommorrow I will be bringing back boats on tuesday and hopefully a longbeard.

Frick, They are the same 10" bucket hatches that come stock in all the Cobras.

Barrell