Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
G-Man

Troll via kayak

24 posts in this topic

I have tried trolling once on the kayak, but i wonder about it.

If you have the rod behind you, is it not hard to reach back for it and turn to fight the fish?

Do you guys troll with rods in front or behind you?

Looking for insight into trolling and what lures work best.

Thanks

G-Man

Having the rod in front of you keeps you aware of what's going on with the lure. If it's within reach all the better. You have to be aware of where the paddle blades go as you stroke when you mount the rod holder. It's easy to place it where the rod will interfere. On my Explorer I placed a Scotty's on the deck just ahead of the cockpit almost on the left edge. I aim the rod holder inward at about a 60 degree angle. The rod winds up trailing line almost directly over my head and there's no interference but it's real close. If I had a longer stroke it wouldn't work.

G-Man,

If you troll with them in back, sooner or later you'll know that you have a fish on. I have found these indicators and signals while trolling rods in the aft positions:

1) The kayak "all of a sudden" becomes harder to paddle and you ask yourself "Why is it harder to paddle? The current-am I getting tired? Then you notice a pull from one side and the bulb comes-on-you have a fish! They hook themselves-no need to Strike them.

2) If you have the S2S Fishing Seat, you get a kick from the rod butt in your kidney that signals a fish on. With practice you can get the rods out of the holders behind you OK.

Rod holders on the rails are cool if canted outwards so you can see the tip. The fwd mounts are cool too, but there are drawbacks as mentioned above such as the rod tip hitting your face. Gotta choose the rod's action/length carefully. I like fast to medium action shorter rods for kayaks; except for fly rods where I go with 10ft if I can.

I have done well many, many, times just tucking a rod under the thigh and side trolling. No doubt about hits then. Tether the rods in case you get a lunker.

Lastly, trolling big flies, spin-flies, Yo-Zuri Minnow plugs, Rapalas and especially Jointed Rebel monnows (5 1/2 ") and also trolling live and cut bait work very well indeed.

Can't go wrong trolling a spoon either. Lots of different spoons are sold regionally under different brands. Spoons are a universally effective bait-tipped with cut bait, or not. If I were stuck on an island it would be Silver spoons and white flies I guess.

Crease flies are working inshore. Clousers too.

I used to catch a lot of trout from a kayak trolling rivers downstream dragging a Flatfish plug.

Flashers ahead of the baits can add to the victory party.

S1

I have one holder in front to right and one in back to left. Sometimes I troll both with different lures but seldom. If I'm fishing big plugs and expect decent fish I troll the one behind me. Don't worry, when a 20 lb striper hits you know, it scares you and just stops the boat dead. For small lures, smaller fish, fly rod, stuff where I really want to know when a little bit of weed or something is picked I troll the front holder. If I figure 30 inch plus stripers, always behind me, I don't want to get B-- slapped in the face with therod tip.

I've had problems keeping the rod/line out of my paddle stroke when mounted up front. I've also had Tarpon wake me up by coming out of the water with my lure when I mounted behind me. I try to mount behind with a RAM tube then angle the rod forward about 45 degrees forward and out so the rod tip is in my peripheral vision. I haven't found a better solution but I'm not happy yet with anything I've tried.

I have two pairs of rod holders mounted in my milk crate farthest away from me so it is relatively easy to reach. I usually troll with a tethered rod in my lap with the reel between my legs and the rod tip angled back. Always knew when I had a hit. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys.

One think I like about this kayak thing is the discovery process of finding what's best for you. Sounds like I'll have to do some experimenting as well.

Question:

Notice the rod holder Jon has here. It's a great picture. Looks like the tube has the ability to angle out or up. Is that true and has anyone seen where to find such a holder?

Jon-big2a.jpg

If you ask Jon, he'll tell you that it's the RAM "rocket launcher" rod holder. The tube mounts on a ball with a "T" handle that bears down on two clamps around the ball to provide friction. Will offer infinite angles all around and then some. You can barely make out the ball on the right of the tube between his feet.

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 06-26-2002).]

Yes it is the RAM tube and the whole system is awesome. Full 360 degrees of rotation. There are lots of parts that will allow you to mount a rod or electronics holder on any kayak. They also have a quick release called the RAM rod that's perfect for a fly rod that has a fighting butt or for positioning the rod like an outrigger. I like trolling from up front and the RAM allows me to mount a rod holder anywhere I want. They're not cheap but a rod holder is the first accessory that makes a kayak a fishing machine. I am thrilled with them. Its like calling a Hummer another SUV. That's how superior the system is.

I prefer trolling with the rod up front so I can see if weed has gotten on the lure. I have also trolled a lot from the back. Usually I use the rod holder in my StS fishing seat and when a fish hits it pulls the seat back and so its impossible not to know that you have a fish on.

Good thread!

Do you guys use any kind of bungies to keep from losing the rods? I have the s2s seat w/holders and use telephone coiled line with 2 large clips to hold reel to seat just in case....it's long enough to get rod and reel in if i have to...or i can unclip the rod easily.

That being said, i haven't trolled with it yet. This was more for safety when travelling in case i flipped.

One more question since i've never had a boat. How far behind the yak do you troll the plug?

------------------

The Rat

Rat,

I drilled 2 holes on opposite sides of my Ram tube. I then took some of the thin bungee, put the ends in the holes from the outside, in, and ties a knot on the inside so it stays put. Now you have a loop of bungee attached to the tube that you can loop around the reel. I usually don't use it though. If you have the tube on the proper angle, and your drag properly set, you SHOULDN'T lose your rod, unless you flip.biggrin.gif

Oz Makes a good point of having your drag set right.

As JimW said when you get a 30+ inch fish you cant mistake the drag singing.

I have both rods mounted behind me .I just glance to the right to see if tip is draging or wiggling with the right lure action.

If you are moving you should always have a lure trolling .Sometimes it can mean the difference between success and a skunk.More time in the water the better your odds are.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I don't tether the rod in the tube when I'm trolling. When a fish hits it torques the rod and it can't pull out. For going throuogh waves, etc. I put the rod in another holder that has a tether. On the kayak pictured above with me I have a lot of rod holding choices. Up front are both a RAM tube and rod, and a flush striaght. My seat has the 2 bulit in holders and behind me are an angled flush and a Scotty base. At the time I had the Scotty fly unit in it and that's where the fly rod was carried when it wasn't in the hull.