Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marcel_Karssies

Inflatable Yak

12 posts in this topic

Has anybody got any suggestions or tips on inflatable kayaks.

I plan to travel to SW Florida this fall and would like to have some more options besides fishing from the beach. The place I am going to has no rentals. I am from the Netherlands so I have to get something that fits in an airplane.

What I want to do is to fish an innerbay especially along a stretch of seawalls. I also would like to explore some inlets and streches of beach. Since I will be on the Gulf of Mexico waves would be absent. Strong currents will be present in the small inlets that drain the backbays to the open Gulf.

I used an inflatable sevylor recreational thingy once while in Fort Lauderdale.

Now I am looking for something more decent but since I will use the kayak only for a couple of weeks it must not to expensive.

Maybe some of you guys have faced the same dilemma or have any good tips for me.

ph-ladyfish3.jpg

Marcel,

Where exactly are you going? Are you able to travel around once you are there (will you have access to a car)? There might be a way to hook you up with a plastic kayak once you are there even if nobody rents locally.

The place I intend to visit is Naples, I

will not move around through the state of FL.

(I have relatives living near Naples).

I will not have access to a car.

If I can find an inflatable that works well

I might even use it back home.

Marcel,

There are several folding kayaks that are pretty decent, maybe see if you can find a used one, they aren't that cheap. I agree with the suggestion to rent a plastic boat. Even if you own a folding or inflatable they are not that small or light to carry around an airport and they take a bit of time to assemble.

Jim

Ocean Kayak Frenzy. At 9 foot even it is acceptable on a plane for 50 bucks. Bought mine in florida and flew it home with me. Scott

I have contacted a tackleshop in my holiday destination for some advice on kayak rentals and storage. I guess buying an Ocean Kayak Frenzy and storing it somewhere would be cheaper than renting a kayak for a long time (3-4 weeks).

Checked out the feathercraft airline kayak, pricetag was a little on the high side but there are really no alternatives in that catagory under the 1000 usd.

The inflatable's I have seen range from Aire, Grabner, Innova to the Stearns kayaks.

The Innova kayaks look a lot like the kayaks made in the Czech republic by Gumotex (cheaper). Has anyone ever red a review about the Stearns kayak. I found two, one good and one bad. The Stearns kayak has an attractive pricetag but it really looks like a toy boat. After my sevylor adventures I would like to avoid any hint of toyboats.

Kayaks have fairly good resale, it may be worth buying one then leaving it with family/friends and having it sold. May only lose fifty bucks in the deal. Worth a thought anyway. Scott

I have to agree with ScottO. We faced a similar dilemma when we flew to FL a few years ago. If your there more than a week it can be cheaper to buy a plastic kayak in FL. If it's small enough (eg the Frenzy) you can fly it home with you (Although the folks on the airlines do tend to curse and swear at you ... ask Scott about that). I bought a Scrambler XT and left it in FL. I picked it up on another trip, used it a lot more and sold it for 10 dollars more than I paid for it two years later (I did add two hatches and a seat).

If you buy a boat, even at retail, you can sell it for some ungodly low price before you leave and still be better off than renting. If you're there for more than two weeks you can give it away (keep the paddle and the seat) and still be better off. You'll also have had the use of a much more solid boat than most foldable/inflatables.

If you want to think about it, post the idea on a FL kayak fishing board. You'll probably have some one who'll buy the boat when you're done before you even get to Florida.

I agree with Scott and Santiago. I'd buy a plastic yak and then sell it. You'll have a much more sea and fish worthy vessel. Get a popular yak that would be easy to turn. Something like an OK Scrambler. Make friends with some of the Florida kayak fisherman by spending some time on those boards. I'm sure tht they'll be able to help. You may even be able to buy a used kayak and then sell it for about what you pay for it.

Scotto is right buy a yak and leave at your relatives house. Hey, you're going back right? They can use it and it will be there for you.

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 02-25-2002).]

I was just in Fla. for a month on both coasts and the keys. Although I didnt go down to Naples. I saw kayak rental joints everywhere. Im sure their is one around naples. Maybe have you friends can run an add in a local paper and you could rent some locals yak for a few weeks and give it back to him. Stearns products are generaly well made.

Barrell