Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

FISH FINDERS

15 posts in this topic

OK Gents!

Who can give me the skinny on fish locators?

I have a Cabela's catalog in front of me and there are plenty to choose from.

Who amongst you uses one, what make & model

are they worth it,where did you mount it, etc, etc.

I figure $200 is my limit.

I can use some suggestions.

Thanks mates!!!biggrin.gif

DASBOOT

DAS - lots of guys use them and they're and excellent idea. I believe that the kayak book has info on them. I strongly suggest taking a look on ebay first.

I plan on installing a very nice unit this spring. I want the Garmin 240. I'm going to get a custom made transducer that fits in the scupper hole. I'll mount the unit so it will be on the male part of a Scotty unit and this way I'll be able to move it between my demo yaks.

As to units. I did a search and read lots of reports on a fishing electronics board. Garmin and Lowrance got very high marks. Hummingbird had lots of complaints. Most people I know have Hummingbirds.

Also check Walmart. They've had a sale clearing out units.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 11-21-2001).]

Thanks Jon.

I see I will have to reconsider my price cap of $200.

I wonder how much visual difference there is between the 240a d160 pixel models.

Why have you chosen the Garmin over the Lowrance?

DASBOOT

Surface,

I believe you use a 12volt battery(Like a Motorcycle batt) and put it in the forward hatch inside some type of waterproof bag like a thermo lunch bag.

either saw or read that somewhere.

DASBOOT

dasboot...12 volt battery = 44lbs. If you go with a portable model fishfinder it take AA batteries and does a fairly good job. I have an Eagle 128 portable fishfinder and have used it on my brother-in-laws small boat and it works pretty well. My suggestion is portable and reduce the weight on your yak. Just my thought.

DASBOOT... I set up a hummingbird 200dx in my yak. The hummers are good for depth and contour to some degree, they suck at seeing fish. They are the low end for sure. I used a Cabella's sealed battery, they only weigh a few pounds.

I just yesterday ordered a replacement, I went with a lawrance x-85. These units priced for 400.00 plus the speed and temp unit. I found a deal that was 299.00 including the s/t unit. the x-65's were also deeply discounted and should be a good unit. They were 199.00 and free shipping (while supplies last all are brand new units) if you think you might like the lawrance units let me know. I bought my vhf radios from this site and got 2 radios for what they wanted at all the other sites I checked for one. There sales are unreal.

The wife gets my old hummingbirdbiggrin.gif just so she feels like, I don't have an advantage.biggrin.gif

I would list the site, but not sure it is allowed here.

Jon is right on the money when he says Garmin and Lowrance are better choices than a Humminbird (and THAT comes from a Humminbird owner). Rich, at R&G says the Lowrance is in a class by itself!

However PMJASPER is talking about much more battery than you need at 44#. You could run a trolling motor with a battery THAT big!

I mounted my AGM battery inside a tupperware pitcher that is a force fit between my deck and the floor. All of my fuses are inside, and the hatch is semi-resealed with a stainless steel band-type clamp (like you would use on a hose). My Fishfinder is mounted to the hatch cover (aluminum disc underneath) and the battery gets charged inside the kayak. My 7AH AGM battery cost $17 and weighs less than 10#. I bought it online from a fellow named Andy Andersen who lives on the West Coast. Batteries are his business, and he is a wealth of information. AGM is the next generation after Gel-Cell, and is sealed. It operates in any position. In my opinion, AGM or Gel Cell are the only alternatives in rechargable batteries for a kayak. Lead/Acid is an accident waiting to happen. My transducer is glued to the inside of the kayak, but I can see Jon's need to be able to switch it from one model to another. I'm actually quite proud of my electrical system, and would be pleased to show it to you (DAS, I live 1 mile from you). My battery runs lighting as well (on an intermittant basis) and I am thinking about adding a marine radio. If the only load was the depthfinder, a charge would probably last for 3 outings or more. I top off my AGM battery every time I return to the garage. (My education was in Electronics). I thought about GPS, but decided a portable unit could render more service, on the beach for example.

Flounder

There are a variety of ways to go as to batteries. Portable units usually use D cells and are the easiest way to go. Some use motorcycle batteries. There are also battery packs, and then you can use two 6 volts. Go to the boards like Yak or CKF. There's alot f info there. Also check the kayak book.

DAS - the 160 is a terrific unit. Much more better than what most people are using. The reason I want 240 is for freshwater in cover so I can identify a fish sitting under structure and also 240 will show the thermocline. These are features not necessary for the salt. The reason I want Garmin over lowrance is price. Garmins are cheaper but still rated excellent.

The ball is a great way to go and I may go with it. I'm going to stock ball rod holders and accessories in the Spring.

Flounder,

I'd like to take you up on your offer.

I have a lot of free time from today on.

PM me with a convenient time for you.JonS,

I don't want to limit myself to Saltwater.

I like the idea of the clearer picture from 240 pixels as opposede to 160.

I have'nt even seen them yet.

Am I being too picky? confused.gif

I can get the Garmin 240 for $210 from Sports Auth.

Thats with a 30% discount.

Yak Attack,

PM me with that site if you would.

I'd like to see what price I can get for the X-65 or X-85.

Thanks.

DASBOOT

That's a great price on the 240- I'd grab it. Just upgraded to one from a H'bird 128, and you can't believe how much more detailed the screen is- I can see little, teeny bumps with this that were flat lines with the H'bird- translated into mucho cod the other day.

I know Garmin makes a portable kit for theit fishfinders- and 12V, 5-7 ah batteries only weigh 5 lbs or so.

That's a fantastic price for the 240. If you don't like it for any reason you could sell it on ebay for more than you're gonna pay. I'd grab it if I were you.

For those that may be interested in using an AGM battery, I post the following information. This is the source and model # that I used in my system, which I believe is engineered properly.

BatteryStuff.com is the website for Andy Anderson enterprises. Andy has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about batteries. I selected (and he approved) GUARDIAN model DG 12-7 which is a 12 volt, 7AH battery weighing 5.8 #. It's approximate dimensions are 2.5"W X 6"L X 4"H. This is an Absorbed Gas Mat (AGM) battery that can be mounted in ANY position, and is completely sealed, so it can't leak unless you crack the case. The battery costs $19.

I found a Rubbermaid pitcher that was a force-fit between my deck and the bottom. The battery was a snug fit in the pitcher, but I used "Great Stuff" (an aerosol foam from Home Depot) to fill in the empty spaces. I also FUSED all leads coming out of my "battery box". Even the lead for charging the battery is fused. I used 3m 4200 to cement the force-fit pitcher in place. The pitcher is vented through the pour-spout, but this was probably not necessary.

My transducer is cemented to the inside of the yak, and connected to the FF through the same hatch cover the FF is mounted on. When completely set up, the installation looks like a fake, because there are NO WIRES showing! I am rather proud of the way it came out, but I wish I had picked a better quality FF.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

Flounder