Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XT

Kings and Spanish Mackerels

4 posts in this topic

Just came back from the OBX nice weather but no fish- as a matter of fact, after drifting live eels all over the south side of Oregon inlet not one hit and basically not marking any fish on the depth sounder either. Guess I'll wait til summer-

I'd like to target some kings, spanish and cobia's this summer- has anybody out there had experience dealing with any of these nice fighters from a kayak.

XT,

I've caught both spanish and cobia from my yak. Have not fished for kings since they are much harder to get to since they will be a mile or more out into the ocean here in Virginia.

The spanish and cobia come up in the bay and can be easy targets. Spanish like to get in any inlet or jetty that has a nice rip line and the cobia will get on any structure as well as the first drop off from the beach. The cobia are a blast as they will tow you around for quite a ways.

I catch these fish all on the flyrod which is all the more enjoyable. The kings would be much easier to target in places like Sabine Pass down in the gulf where they will sit right in the jetties. Unfortunately we don't have that situation up here.

TW- thanks for the reply- now I'm real curious-

I've fished for cobia only from a bigger boat- where have you gone and where did you catch that cobia- I understand if you don't want to give up any honey-hole

There are lots of folke with more cobia experience than me. I've seen some monsters right in the surf but have yet to catch any in the OBX. Kings, that's another story. All of mine have been from the Florida east coast. My biggest came right outside the mud line just beyond the surf. It took 6 weeks for my last thumb burn to finally go away. Awesome fish. I like to run 90 lb florocarbon to a 8/0 circle and then a wire trailer to a 5/0 circle. I lip and tail hook a live bait (or dead spanish mackeral) and just slow troll it behind the kayak until I find the kings.