Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diamondwrapper

Perception Swing

16 posts in this topic

My wife hates you guys! After watching Yaks at Montauk while I was surf fishing and reading this forum,I made the plunge this morning and bought a Perception Swing. Don't know if I made the best choice but it sure looks great in my back yard smile.gif. I don't plan to use it at the point. Mostly it will be for Stonybrook harbor and the bay side of Moriches inlet. Ther is great fishing at both places. I picked up a PFD,a Palm paddling top, and a 2mm farmer john. What I didn't get was a backrest and pole holders. If anyone has a Swing and knows what would work well with it, I would love to have some advice.Thanks.

John

PS Got a Harmony fiberglass 2 piece paddle.

My girlfriend looks at me funny, rolls her eyes, and shakes her head whenever I mention my desire for a kayak. rolleyes.gif

Then she says that if she had the extra money, she would like to get one as well.

Women.... confused.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Mouse, I made rods years ago, when I could see smile.gif. I uses that handle on the CB back in the 70's. I make rods for myself now and then. Still have a jig in the cellar to do the wrapping but it has a lot of dust on it. I read the lure building threads a lot and I've got a lathe so I'm going to start with that branch of the hobby

John

DW - all SOTs can take any of the perriferals that we discuss. At present I feel that the best seat on the market is the StS. It has terrific support. ScottO, Santiago and Terry all have the Swing and love it. I'm sure that they'll chime in when they see your post.

Welcome to the forum, the sport and as Surfacetension likes to say, the DARKSIDE.

It's going to be fun fishing verticaly instead of the horizontal method. Some of the seats seem to have a stiffer back. I think I might need that. Can I get that seat online? The boat has a hatch in the front and a small one in the middle. I might have to put one in back so I can mount the pole holders. How much trouble is it to get your hands on the rod when it's mounted behind you, I'm not rubber man ).

That's the ticket, John...ask all the questions I'll most likely be asking in a few weeks/months. icon14.gifbiggrin.gif

I'm jealous, already.... wink.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Yeah DW, the Swing is Sweet. Both Santiago II and myself have one. We use the ram system of mounting rod holders. As for a seat we after market high backs. Check out the Surf to Summit seat. Heard lots of good things. You won't be dissapointed witht this boat. Will try to attach a photo...

kayak1aa.jpg

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 03-17-2002).]

The StS seat is the Surf to Summit and its the most supportive seat on the market by far. Nothing, at this time, comes close. Barrell originally turned me onto to it and its the only seat he'd carry because it was so far better then the rest. After I tried on I had to agree.

StS has a fishing seat which has 2 built in rod holders. It makes a great choice while you're figuring out where to drill some holes. Its certainly easier to get a rod that's in front of you but with a little practice the rear isn't difficult.

DW, I fish out of a Swing, and I am not looking to move to another design any time soon. It's hull design will allow it cut through the surf with some practice very easily. It also is a good tracker for it's width.

As far as the seat, ("For the bottom") I cut out, and glued a 3/8" neoprene foam pattern. For the backrest, I use a standard no-name low profile rest. I personally like to have the backrest, separate from the Seat. The neoprene stays tight to the boat and will not move, and the low profile back can be adjusted from high to low very easily on the water.

You have many different options for the rod holders. I actually made a double front rod holder from Minicel foam. I reamed out the foam block, and glued two sections of PVC for the holders. One tube at a 45 degree angle for trolling and one straight up for transportation to your secret fishing spot.

The cool part about this set up is that I used the Existing water-bottle strap to hold the unit in place. With the correct foam shaping it will stay tight to the boat. A bonus to this setup is that the unit is between your shins and the rod can be easily retrieved from the tube. The foam also can be used for hanging your jigs or plugs.

I located my foam and neoprene from

Kayakoutfitting.com

For the rear of the Kayak, I took Scotto's advise and went with the RAM tube rod holder. It's a very well make holder and can swivel 360 degrees. "ball mount type" It also locks down very tight. I am sure that this holder will last a lifetime.

You can go on and on with different ideas and options. Just make sure you sit in your boat with your paddle in hand when you decide on the placement of some of your accessories. Good luck, Terry

The Swing is unquestionably the best all around boat I have. That's because I use it in the surf and just about everywhere else. If I had a more specific niche to fill I might have a different opinion.

One of the best feature for the surf is how well it drains. Some boats leave you sitting in a tub of water after you take a wave over the side.

At the same time the Swing doesn't hold residual water like some boats that do drain well. It doesn't leave you sitting in a puddle of water afterwards. Thats a hard combination to find.

If you take it thru the breakers some day you'll be glad you have it.

I agree with TM, I took the bottom off my seat, much prefer the loose back. Don't use anything on the bottom and it's no problem for me. Love the boat! Scott

Wow, these are some great answers to my questions. I had saved up some money and I wanted to spend it before Momma found something to waste it on like food and clothes and the mortgage.

Scott, I noticed that you have the rear rod holder on the left. Is that because you're left handed or is it easier for a right handed person to get at it from that side?

If the weather is OK this weekend I might try this puppy out. Thanks guys.