Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Can anyone recommend a fishfinder???

7 posts in this topic

Figured I'd better get a fishfinder for my bad@ss new boat, any recommendations on models? It will be used in no more than 40' of water and I'm not looking to spend a ton. Thanks.

Hey EB,

I think the Tarpon 120 is a Great Buy! I've spent the last couple of months outfitting a Tarpon 140 and I'm real satisfied with the results.

As for a fishfinder... I read several pretty good reviews about the Humminbird Matrix 17 on this site. Then, completely unexpected, I came across a brand new Matrix 17 that was being sold at a 40% discount at a Dick's Sporting Goods store so I bought it and installed it on my T140. So far have used it both in a freshwater lake (Lake Zoar in CT) and also in the Long Island Sound. I am super happy with the results and how the unit works.

I mounted the transducer inside the boat using RTV per the instructions that you can find on the web.

One of my best moves, based on input from this website, was that I purchased 8 of the newer rechargeble 2500 mAh AA-size batteries along with a battery holder from Radio-Shack and rigged up a super-small battery powerpack to drive my fishfinder. I couldn't be happier with the way it works. I've never come close to running the juice all the way down, even after 6 hours on the water. I'd never have even thought of this if it wasn't for the web.

BTW, I also own a Humminbird SmartCast RF30 that I use with another of my Kayaks (but not my serious rig). I received the SmartCast as a Christmas present and initially thought it might be a cheezy toy, but after giving it a try, I'm a believer. I use the Wristwatch-style receiver and find that it works very well for locating structure, measuring depth, etc. Also it is pretty cool to be able to cast the wireless transducer and see what's under the surface away from the boat. Frankly I think the SmartCast works real well but I was determined mount a bigger screen on my T140 and I'm quite happy with my Matrix 17.

I am new to the NorthEast, and monitor this site almost every day since getting here. Let me know if I can answer any questions or help you in any way. I bought my T140 stock, and then added all the fishing extras myself. (i.e. Rod Holders, Sonar, Compass, Storage Crate, etc.)

Have fun and let us know how things progress...

KC

I use a Hummingbird Pirannha and am very happy w/ it. Also use the radio shack holder though I use regular AA batteries.

Lexoled the transducer to the hull and it works fine.

Thanks guys, I'm prob going to go with the piranha 15, since I can pick one up for under $100 and there seem to be plenty of people using them and installation tutorials.

Can't wait to get this boat all decked-out.

Expensive toys make me happy.

Go portable, permanent mounts and hard fishing leed to constant maintenace or corosion problems.

Most guys only use the finder when not familiar with the spot .Once you know a spot well You leave it home. I swithched to a boundry waters lc 110 but its expensive. I think we will see more and more small portable models coming on the market as the companies respond to the demand.

barrell

You can't beat them Humminbirds!

They are so sensitive, that my W I D E marks fish even when the boat is in the driveway!

You get what you pay for!

AMMO

Thanks for the tips - wound up getting the standard piranhamax 15. I'm powering it with a 12V, 10amp lantern battery hooked up to a solar panel drip charger ($25 on eBay) thats mounted to my deck. Its a sweet setup and works great.