Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Tachle storage while yakkin'?

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys-

Where (how) do you store your tackle--not speaking of rods per se, more along the lines of tackle boxes, etc, while fishing and/or paddling? Do most have installed a bungee (sp?) system on the bow or is it better to start off with an attached create in the back?

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

[This message has been edited by JoeB (edited 04-04-2002).]

I use smaller plano boxes that fit in the hatch which I attach to the pulley system in the hull. I tie a 1-2' piece of rope to the pulley and attach my box to that with a clip. This way I can easily find my box in the hull and have enough slack to pull it completely out to access my stuff... I also attach a larger plano box to the hatch lid via velcro for my bigger stuff. Can't wait to see everybody elses setups to get more ideas!!!

I have a bag I put a couple plastic boxes in. Can trade boxes in and out if you want to change tackle, can keep others in the hull. The bag has a couple pockets that hold pliers, knife, couple spools of leader, whatever generic tackle you have, camera and some safety stuff like a horn, light, etc. The bag had a shoulder strap that was detachable via two plastic clips. The two plastic clips have lost the strap and become attached to the deck (same points that hold the deck bungees) so now I can snap the bag to the deck. Would be better if bag was waterproof, and since I found my bottle of tent seam sealant, that could change. wink.gif

Like Jim W I carry everything in a bag. I tether it inbetween my legs. Easy access is paramount for me. I fish alot in the ocean so I avoid opening the hatch for fear of swamping. (I have a Tourer and find that the center hatch is also a ***** to re-seal). Jim W, I use a bike messanger's bag - capacious, ripstop, waterproof, lotsa pockets, velcro flap with nylon snaps. It's served me well and has been upside down in the surf plenty of time with minimal loss of gear.

That pulley system that JonS uses is sweet! The one thing I dislike about the plano boxes is that the Salt Water gets into them and wrecks your tackle. I dislike having to clean everything after every outing. I have found a series of sealed tubes that I pack with the essential tackle. I went to a surplus store and found a half case of unused wink.gif urine specimen jars that seal real well and have labels. So I load these small plastic tubes and jars with terminal tackle and lures and flies and place them in in a box below deck, or stuff them in the SOS vest pockets for fast access. Dry bags , clear ones, work wonders too for storing lines, coats, hats and fish baggies. You can stuff these below deck through a hatch. These are the roll-top kind. Using zip lok baggies for flies ain't too bad for keeping them dry till you use them and you can stuff them in the vest pockets or shirt. You can use minicell boogie boards and cut those up for under-deck bulkheads and wedge them in fore and aft of a hatch. For the boats with a 10" round hatch between your legs these cargo compartments are cool. Now you have a semi-sealed campartment below deck that can be filled with boxes and bags and jars. Sometimes I'll tether a larger plano box a have it in the tank well behind the seat and just clean everything in it later. Also the S2S fishing seat has a sizable zippered pocket in back and that will accept a good sized plano, plus the drift sock and game bag and first aid kit go there. Lures go in that plano usually. I tether a billy, gripper.on-deck. JonS' idea (?) to use the rubber rod clips to hold the lip gripper is solid-I have done that and it is nice to have it ready and within reach. I clamp forcepts to my shirt/vest for instant access. A dive knive is strapped to my right lower leg for cutting lines in an emergency of if in the drink.

I try to put a hydrator bag in the seat pouch, or tank well for longer outtings. Too hard to carry drinks and a man has a powerful thirst after paddling and catching a fish-right? Too much stuff-but all good stuff to have.

Sharp1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 04-07-2002).]

The answer sometime depend on where you fish. On calm water you can put you rods directly into tethered rod holders. I would have at least two rod holders. If you need a surf launch then store everything possible below or in a VERY secure dry bag on top. Not just bungeed but snapped in.

Occasionally I'll carry two rod/reels in the paddle holder on rough launches if I can plastic wrap the reels.

I would also recommend a deck top knife and pliers holder.

Depending on your setup you can get a tuppperware box to mount in the tank well and strap in down tight for entries and exits. That usually holds my lure boxes (Plano waterproof boxes) or bait.

JimW

The bag is by Timbuk2, out of CA somewhere, large. They have a web site timbuk2.com. I picked mine up in a bag store on Canal St. About $50 but very well made.

I fear I may have misled you: the bag, because it has a large over-flap is not waterproof. If it gets dunked it will fill with the briney stuff (in fact, I've installed a grommet/drain at the bottom of mine).

My experience is that everything does get wet so I just hose it all down when I get home.

Hey Salt!

Is that hatch on your tourer the 10" round?

The one with the tiny arrows to line up to latch? I put a piece of red duct tape on the hatch and rim at 12 o'clock with the hatch closed. (actually, it was probably more like ten at night wink.gif ) Makes a much easier reference than those tiny arrows.

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<