Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken L

Yak workstation

15 posts in this topic

I am an inveterate tinkerer who, more often that not can't leave well enough alone. So I took Friday off and contrary to a lot of well thought out advice, I started drilling holes. Well I had those paddle clips and you know how it is. I only drilled one bad hole and the installation actually went well. All that crawling around on the garage floor however, is not what these old bones are used to. My legs, especially the left are telling me about muscles I ddin't know I had. so after cutting short a days fishing, off I went to Sears. Well not Sears but Sears Hardware. Great store for tinkerers btw. They had these saw horses for sale with a long narrow tray on top perfectly sized to firmly grip a 29 1/2 inch 2x4 upright. I made a pattern roughly matching the shape of Goo Goo Green's hull and cut it out of two matching studs. It wound up a wide U shape with the base of the U matching the hieght of the tray. I placed them in the saw horses and put the kayak in these notches. The deck hieght is now at counter top level and very steady. No more crawling around the floor or aching legs.

Ken L,

What you wanted was canoe stands. They're just a sling of carpet or fabric between uprights, legs are inverted tee's with bracing between. By changing the distance between the stands you can work on the boat at a lot of different angles with it held reasonably solidly. I'll post if I have a picture.

I did some organizing on mine today. Trimmed a milk crate to fit in the back behind the seat. Secured it with bungy cords. Replaced the pulley system in the yak. Hooked a floating first aide kit to the pulley system. Added about 10' of floating line to the front. All while the yak is hung on strapping from the ceiling of my basement. Very conveinent and no sore knees.

------------------

SOL #669

RFA #23964F

Well, I had a set of the LARGEST (18") grey Roleze tires and about 3/4 of the 1 1/2 " PVC fittings that I needed to build big Big Bertha the sand wagon left over from building the mothership yak rack last summer. So I pillaged home depot, West Marine and Boater's world for the rest of the stuff needed to finish the dolly and went to town. HA. It is the yak cart that Godzilla would use for sure. This thing is VERY robust. I'd say it would lug 300# no problem. The tires are rated at over 200# capacity each.

So today, after it was completed, I mounted an all glass sit on top weighing about 60# on the cart and the boat sat about chest high on Big Bertha the sand wagon. It is so secure, and those tires are so big and bouncy light, that I could get a hop going and pogo the whole rig a foot of the ground like a dribbling a basketball around the yard. Nothing budged on the "truck trunion" and the yak never moved an inch.

Interestingly, I do not have an axle running accross between the wheels. I figured the more ground clearance between the tires the better for obstical courses. So I fashioned two individual struts like an airplane's landing gear. This machine will haul the goods over big curbs, parking tombstones, down big beach stairways and even surmount boulder fields. Any kind of soft sand is no longer an issue-even fully loaded. These tires are inflated to only 2.5 lbs and have no tread.

Now that I have the design worked out, I will clone it using 1" PVC instead, and tweak it a little hear and there; lowering it a tad.Actually it occurred to me that a yak wheel barrow could be made using these mondo Roleze tires. If anyone wheels a yak a few blocks from garage to the bay-this may be of interest.It would make a good trailer for a bike that way too.

I made the padded arms that nestle the hull removavble so that the basic "truck" assembly could also be used to hold a platform and serve as a beach party cart. Maybe that is where this way-to-huge kayak dolly will serve. Still, it all knocks-down and those big wheels come off easily, so I can switch them to other frames. I'll have to get a photo of it and post it for laughs. It is interesting and heavy duty to say the least. Since I had these parts and had been thinking about this cart for a year, so it was good to complete the prototype assembly.

S1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 05-27-2002).]

WHD, we stopped at the South View Seaport walked over to Ground Zero. Tough day, my daughter was a trooper. She kept an eye on me and things were pretty well. We hit a pizza spot (her request) just north of Ground Zero and had lunch. Her friends all went to Burger KIng she wan't doing the same thing she does at home. We had a good conversation with a paramedic from NC and his wife. She was used to the FD quick friend makers and such. We walked the area and got back on the bus to Midtown. Hit the norm's there. ESPN Zone, Times Square. We went back down to between Greenwich and East Villages for the play we were gonna see. We walked both and she had a blast. She picked some little place for dinner. Just her and I we had a real good time. We then went to the show"The Blue Men Group", it was alot of fun too. Good day well spent with my daughter and her friends. Thanks for asking Dave.

------------------

SOL #669

RFA #23964F

jim W, I'm sure if I had canoe stands I wouldn't have bothered with this. However, these horses weigh about 6 pounds each and fold up to two inches wide. The inserts could be custom cut for many different yaks and changed out as needed.

Space is a problem for me in our townhouse.

Ken L,

Space can be a problem. The great thing about canoe stands is that any boat fits, you can work on it in any position, and I store the boat in it in my barn. smile.gif

I have regular maintenance I have to do to 3 of them anyway so they're great in my circumstance.

Hi Sharp,

Interesting notes on the kayak cart. I need modifications on mine, since it failed miserably in the soft sand this past weekend.

I just need better wheels. I'm searching for 10" pneumatic wheels with plastic hubs. Where did you get your wheels, and will they hold up to salt water?

Thanks

G-MAn, Oh, most definately the Roleez wheels are Salt Water approved icon14.gif They have plastic hubs and axle sleeves and SS bolts and Bearings.

RPCgirl.jpg

So this is what we all need, aye G-Man . Heck, I'd take two of those!....wheels that won't bog down in the sand that is.

roleezeorange.gif

These ballons come in gray and in orange. They make three sizes and the smaller size is 30 cm(11.9"). These take a 1/2 inch axle. The biggest, which I have, are 49 cm(19.3") and take a 1 inch axle.

BTW-I finished the improved Big Bertha beach yak cart-well almost. It will be 100% by tomorrow eve. It is getting there. More later on that.

So do a Google Search on Roleez and you are in there G-Man. These wheels are pricey and I have heard they sell blems for less. Gotta have em though. Life is way to short for a grown man to plow sand with his toys.

S1

I contacted Rolleez last month and asked for a shot at blem or "seconds" for a discount. They will sell you wheels at a discount just e-mail them and ask and they'll respond. Very nice people and hey they can't sell them in the store anyway, so you win they win.

No More Roleez Blems are avaialable from the factory! The Sales Mgr. Otto just e-mailed me. They apparently have got the manufacturing issues worked out and don't produce any more defective wheels icon14.gif Something to do with changing valve stem materials and bearing felt. FYI

S1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 05-29-2002).]

Thanks Sharp. That's too bad on the Roleez. They sure look great, but outta my price range. Do they come with the bikini girl?

I did locate some 10" pneumatic wheels with poly hubs. They are 3.5" wide so it's an improvement on my current wheels. Cost =$14 each, but takes 3 weeks to arrive.

Looking forward to pix of the Bertha Wagon.