Home Depot Kayak Transport

Frick, I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention at all. Actually I rather like what you've done both in design and execution. Now as I said I have done a little work with this stuff and when you use short members such as you have I have been surprised at its strength and rigidity. In your setup the points of greatest stress would likely seem to be where the axle meets its hubs and you have addressed this with the aluminum axle and the reinforced hubs. None of the PVC pieces is at all long and likely to bend. Now I can't seem to find my theoretical hat nor my old statics book either but let me give you an example of why I said what I did. Suppose you are transporting your yak on the caddy and you run the caddy into a curb head on, God forbid. I hope it's the caddy that fails. If those uprights are strong enough the scupper holes are going to get the brunt of the impact. This is not likely to happen but with all due respect if it were me I wouldn't take the chance, especially if the uprights didn't need to be that strong. smile.gif

------------------

This is the lengths I use for my cobra XL and my Barbie 4x4 wheels. Different wheels, different lenghts to fit. Eg. Frick's short uprights near the axle are longer than mine to accomodate the roleeze wheels. My wheels are 30cm tall and 18cm wide. Note: the metric units are because I'm too lazy to add the fractions smile.gif

explodedyakcart.jpg

I gotta get a camera. These paintbrush diagrams are getting kinda tired.

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

[This message has been edited by Waljojo (edited 04-24-2002).]

while sleeping I dream of great fish and strong fights

Das,

In an ideal world the cheapest, most easily replaced part fails first. If luck holds it is sacrificed to save the other stuff. It occurs to me that some of those roads into and around certain reservoirs are rough enough and hilly enough to make this prospect reasonably possible. If all you want to do is drag the yak across a sandy beach, no problem.

If you're doing cross country kayak hauling I think you'll tip no matter what. I line with what Ken is saying, the whole Home Depot thing is cheap and replaceable; plus, you can strap it closer to stern/bow to get more stability- something you can't do with the scupper designs.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Waljojo, what's the name of the pic you uploaded? I went in to edit and fix your post but you've got way too much stuff there. Too much for me to figure out. You can't have any spaces and its and then type exactly what the upload drop box tells you.

I agree that for sand it doesn't take much of a cart and pvc is a great material. Ditto for pavement, etc. PVC carts have a rough time for trails though. You're much better off strapping the yak to the cart in a more centered position and a stronger more flexible material is better for this purpose. I've broken enough carts to know that being a mile or so from your vehicle is not the place to find out that the cart can't handle it and you have to carry your kayak. If you do I hope it fails quickly or you have a very lite kayak wink.gif .