Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltyh2ofly

Home Depot Kayak Transport

38 posts in this topic

Did any one see this? http://home1.gte.net/res02ksx/tips.html

So, went to Home Depot and saw the hand truck for $59. I was in a store that had a cart just for kayaks for $125 and it was "poor" with thin tires. So I figured "why not" and when I got to the register it was only $39! I also purchased some 3 X 2 (or something like that) to attach on top to make a craddle. Next a little carpet on it for protection and a strap. The tires are phneumatic and wide so it can "air out" for the sand. I'll work on the carrier and report back later.

Das, I have the FnD so I'll work out the bugs on my end first a noted. I am hoping to fish in your area soon and meet you and the other NY fishermen. FLYRODDER and I are have fished the surf before and he has always treated me to some fine fishing. Right now there are some big weakfish in my area I'm hoping to get in on but I still want to cross the Hudson and fish. I have a couple spots on the EAST END I want to explore and if you are willing so am I.

Hey hey hey...count me in (as soon my yak comes in!). HappyWave.gif I think it would be a great idea if we could get a semi-regular group of guys together to yak at the same time, both for the safety factor as well as the company of a few new fishing buddies.

Every weekend in May I am planning on making road trips down to fish with the yak. To say that I am looking forward to then would be a SLIGHT understatement. wink.gif

PS. mrsinbad--Sent ya a PM...

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

[This message has been edited by JoeB (edited 04-19-2002).]

Yo Joe & Salty,

Let's do it!!!!

Just keep in touch.

SInbad & I have gone out a few times but I haven't met any of you other guys...except for JonS.

I'd love to try the east end!

Yeah, I wanna have a regular day and time so I can plan around fishing and go to different locations. After May, I can get out early AM on Sundays. Keep the idea alive.

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 04-19-2002).]

I'm up for a trip for sure. I worked on the yak transport this Sat. Took the hacksaw to the handtruck and added a couple eye bolts to the thing to hook a rope/bungee to. There are two extra supports after you remove the handle and I used both for support at each end of the assembly. I took a big pool noodle and used duct tape to hold it then nylon ties. It looked great but the foam noodle pieces kept rolling on the wheels and it just wasn't working. I took some nylon rope and made a figure eight configuration to hold the foam in place. This worked great...there is a spot for the keel to drop into and the hull rests on the foam. A bungee holds the thing on. I place the eye bolt a the long end of the thing. You can only pull the thing one way as far as I can see but it works great. The tires are air filled so you let some out for the beach..."air out". If you have to pull it thru a parking lot you fly! I also took a Scotty fly rod holder and mounted it on a piece of PVC pipe because I didn't want to drill into the yak. It fits in my back drain scupper and is out of the way but easy to reach. More on this as I use it. I'll try to get a pic out if I run into Jon, he has a digital camera.

I read the last discussion in the archives about home depot made kayak carts, and frankly, yall scared me cwm24.gif I've been toolin around with this cart for 3 years or so and after reading the engineering materials debate, I fully expected my cart to spontaneously combust. Well, it hasn't (yet). But when it does I'll make another one smile.gif. I've hauled another boat (pungo), my junk, my child, and a couple of yards of lawn clippings over the Rockies and it has not failed yet. Okay forget the lawn clippings and the Rockies. But is does do great on pavement, decent trails and the beach.

Kayakwheels2.jpg

Parts list: (2) elbows, (2) caps, (4) tee's, (1) 12' section of 1" PVC (about $6 bucks) Glue all the joints EXCEPT the uprights that go through the scuppers. To mount it, I put the boat on its side, slide the uprights into the scupper holes, and put the caps on to hold it in place when I turn the boat right side up. Simple, strong, and cheap. The sorta hard part is to find some decent wheels. Home Depot has replacement lawnmower wheels with bushing for about $6 a piece and you can get a length of 5/8" galvanized round stock for $4 and (2) big cotter pins and (4)fender washers to hold the wheels on. Drilling a hole in the axle (galvanized round stock) can be a bit of a pain, but it is MUCH better than trying to use all-thread and nuts as the tiniest bit of sand in the threads make assembly/disassembly a real pain. Those wheels work great for pavement and will fit in most boats.

BUT for deep sand, the plastic wheels from children's electric 4x4's work exceedingly well. They are big and fill up my rear hatch completely (and I have big "A" hatches), they also should provide some floatation in case of swamping whose likelihood increases exponentially with the number of holes poked in your hull (that probability is fast approaching one in my boat). Look for abandoned vehicles in trash cans and thrift stores. Or you can teach your child a terrible lesson about the world when they find their Barbie Jeep, that you told them 62 times to bring inside, up on blocks [be careful as many of them have alarms]

All of this breaks down and fits inside my hull (that's why you don't glue the uprights)

I don't know if yall noticed yet but I am the cheapest man alive!

(did I mention how jealous I am of all the good company you guys have to go yak fishing with?)

the lonelyest yakfisher in the great pacific northwest frown.gif

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

great post Wali/I overlooked your e-mail to me and will respond shortly, I apologize. Great design on the scupper trolly.

salty; Ramsey Outdoors/Paramus sells closed foam blocks (meant for transporting yaks on car tops) that you can glue or attach to the Home Depot Trolly. The water noodles are less rigid than these closed foam blocks. The blocks also support more weight. MHO.

J.P.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Waljojo , I too have a home made scupper cart.Had a small pair of child's bike wheels,12",given to me and designed mine with an extra cross brace above the axel for clearence of the wheels. Used the all thread method because I had no intension of disassembling . Just leave it at the launch site hidden somewhere.

------------------

Best time to fish ?? Now !!

Salty, good deal on the cart!

Glad it's working out.

WalJoJo,

I too got spooked by the reports about the PVC.

You've convinced me to "damn the torpedos" and give it a shot.

Thanks for the parts list!

The pvc set-up works fine. I use mine with Roleez wheels, which are the very best and worth every penny of their expensive price. To further strengthen the PVC, i've put dowels into the pipe and Gooped them in place. Haven't had a failure yet!

scup1.jpg

scup2.jpg

scup3.jpg

[This message has been edited by Frick (edited 04-21-2002).]

having done a little work with PVC let me suggest that the above design very likely doesn't need any additional stregthening. As long as the lengths are kept this short it wll probably surprise you on how strong and rigid it is. It's saltwater proof and cheap too. The total cost of the tubing and the joints I would guess was probably less than $5.00 with stuff left over.

If you are making a PVC cart for a Cobra such as an Explorer, the pvc doesn't need reinforcement, imo. The scupper holes are fairly large, so the PVC itself can be of a thicker, stronger size. If you've got a OK Scupper Pro, as I do, then I recommend adding dowels to the PVC, since the scupper holes on this craft are smaller necessitating thinner, weaker pvc tubing.