Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobfishgerald

Put ins around Sakonnet

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I have to pick up something for my kayak at the Sakonnet Boathouse in Tiverton this weekend and I was thinking of bringing my kayak along and getting in a little fishing. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on where to put in around there. I am not very experienced in the yak, this is my first season, so I am really looking for a not too complex or advanced place to launch, cruise around, get my kayak casting on, try trolling and hopefully see a fish or two. Any help or points in the right direction would be appreciated. Tight lines, Bob

Hi,

You could put in right at the Sakonett Boat house but there is also Sepowet Management area which is a few miles south. You can also go to Harbor Island - across the river from Sakonnet Boat house. There is a road off of 24 N coming from Newport before the Sakonett bridge that takes you into the calm water off the river. You can see a little bridge from the boat house across the river. That is where the road will take you. Best to look at a map!

I put in in Bristol south of the Narrows. There is a RI DEM fishing area there. The current in the river can be hazardous! The first time ever in a kayak I got swept under the Route 24 bridge and had to claw my way back along the shore to get to the Tiv. Boat house.

Good luck.

Chuck