Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Night Moves

No More Habs, Now What?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

They said that about him last year at surf day and he was at this years surf day.

Selling off the last of his stuff. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Moves View Post

Right, I did see the DC plugs at RISSA. I forgot the name until you just reminded me. Thx

I did purchase some Habs Jr needle fish but unfortunately that was the last Habs being made.

I'll try the DC needle fish

try the 2 1/2 oz.  Beachmasters. That may fit the niche you're looking for...also the 2 1/2 oz. Afterhours..

LI fish in vt makes a killer needle, similiar shape and sink rate of the habs.

Other options are kits, or make friends with someone with a lathe. All the specs are out there to find with some searching, even the x ray is out there.

night moves,here's what my needlefish look lik10001000e As Chris said very similar to Hab's.Hab's ,DC and myself all have/had the good fortune of having a great freind and fisherman to give us some great feed back on our plug building.

Habs needle weighed 2.5 oz, not the 2 oz claimed on the package (supposedly Hab did this to throw off people copying him and impress fisherman who thought they were casting a 2 oz plug).

His needles are heavy for their width and length, so they tend to run deeper or need a faster retrieve than many of the above mentioned needles. Many of the shapes that look like Habs are weighted less and perform differently (which is not a criticism, just a fact). If it is 3/4 " wide, weighs 2.5 oz, and balances on your finger about 3 1/4 " from the tail when rigged it should fish like a Habs.

Their is no "best needle", that is just plain naive. It depends on where and what sort of conditions you fish. Neither Salty's nor Afterhours' needle has much in common with a Habs (although both are excellent plugs in their own right) The BM 2.5 oz plug is fatter than a habs which gives it less depth penetration for any given speed, but overall seems to fish similarly. The loaded Superstike also supposedly fishes well in the same rough, deep conditions where a Habs would shine (but I've not tried one).

I've built plenty of Hab's clones, but usually only use them in windy rough conditions. The rest of the time a different needle often works better for me. Getting stuck on any one needle design costs you fish.

Numbskull, I totally understand what you're saying and agree with your post. I'm not looking for "the best". I'm looking for a "habs like" plug. Not because of the name but because these are the needlefish I fish and like and have most confidence in. I also understand fishing different plugs in different conditions. I've fished other needles but since Habs is no longer being made I need to look for a needle that fills in that loss.

It would be naive to think one needle works in all conditions.

Maybe you can send me one of your needles and I can tell you how close they are to the Habs?;)

DT lures is coming out with the medium needlefish which should be between 6 1/2 and seven a half inches long and about 2 ounces to 2.25 ounces. Builder is still hashing out last finishing touches on the needle. He doesn't release product until it's absolutely perfect, so hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks it'll go into production

Habs needle weighed 2.5 oz, not the 2 oz claimed on the package (supposedly Hab did this to throw off people copying him and impress fisherman who thought they were casting a 2 oz plug).

His needles are heavy for their width and length, so they tend to run deeper or need a faster retrieve than many of the above mentioned needles. Many of the shapes that look like Habs are weighted less and perform differently (which is not a criticism, just a fact). If it is 3/4 " wide, weighs 2.5 oz, and balances on your finger about 3 1/4 " from the tail when rigged it should fish like a Habs.

Their is no "best needle", that is just plain naive. It depends on where and what sort of conditions you fish. Neither Salty's nor Afterhours' needle has much in common with a Habs (although both are excellent plugs in their own right) The BM 2.5 oz plug is fatter than a habs which gives it less depth penetration for any given speed, but overall seems to fish similarly. The loaded Superstike also supposedly fishes well in the same rough, deep conditions where a Habs would shine (but I've not tried one).

I've built plenty of Hab's clones, but usually only use them in windy rough conditions. The rest of the time a different needle often works better for me. Getting stuck on any one needle design costs you fish.

Never tried one of these did you?