Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qweetoe

What rods do you prefer?

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I don't own a Yak, but my brother-in-law does, and after an unfortunate accident involving a 2 foot wave and a couple of lifeguards, he doesn't use it much. I've kind of inherited the craft so to speak. smile.gif

Which leads me to my question...

I've fooled around on it a few times with my standard 9' surfcaster, but the rod seemed to long, especially when trying to release a fish. What length, and action baitcasting rods do you guys prefer for Kayak fishing? How about reels?

I will mostly use it on open beaches, but may venture into the back bays in the upcoming spring months.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

MC

Hello qweetoe,

That's a valid question! When I started kayak fishing.... My biggest problem was the right equipment. I played around with the standard rod but it was too long and cumbersome.

I had Al Goldberg built me a strong kayak rod that will allow me to cull big togs and stripers. He did a dandy job!

In my opinion, a kayak rod will need to be generally short in length and the butt need to be short as well! These modifications will give you enough leverage and power to control a fish.

"Crazy" Alberto

Thanks CA!

I have a Penn Power Stick that is 6'6". I think I'll mess around in the Yak wiht that till I know exactly what I want.

I hadn't even thought about togging from the boat till you replied. There are several inshore wrecks that I can think of that would be absolutely awsome to fish from a Kayak. Do you use an anchor when toggin from yours?

Thanks again Al.

MC

That's another great question!

When I started exploring the anchor possibilities... I had problems controlling around.

I now have two types of anchor. A mushroom style and a 5 arm anchor. I am still playing with a quick anchor release idea in case of monster bass needs to drag me around. Although this may sounds funny... it can be extremely dangerous when you are anchored.

Last year I played around with fluke and they were tossing me around. I also caught a few Stripers and they towed me around. This year I have a few places where anchoring is a must (BIG BASS) ...and I know if I run into Ms. Cow... she will definitely give me a hard time! That is why I am playing around with a quick release anchor. wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

I have two Ugly Stick "Intra Coastals". 7 ft. but I shortened the butt by 3 inches to make them fit more up right in my Scotty rod holders. On the spinner I have a Diawa Black Gold 15 and on the conventional I have a cheap Shakespeare. I used to take my Mag Elete out but the reels will definately get water in them so I went to a cheaper real with a clicker on it. (A must for trolling.)

I also put a flush mount rod holder that I got from Barrell in the center of my Naivgator. I find myself trolling with the rod there a lot since I can watch the rod a lot better in front of me and can see when I have a fish or more likely grass on the plug.

As for rods, I have also found that shorter rods, and more importantly, shorter butts are ideal. I generally fish with a seven 3 piece 7' 10-20 lb spinning rod with a short butt. I like 7' because it allows control around the kayak. When you hook into a decent striper and get him near the yak, you need to be able to get your rod around the kayak.

Crazy, as to anchors, I have a great set up on my fish n dive. It has trolley line around the whole boat, so I can anchor or set a drift sock from any position on the boat. I have some photos if you are interested. There are some very unique requirements in kayak anchors. First, it is important to have some shock absorbance in the anchor line. If you are solidly anchored and a big swell hits you, thinks get ugly fast. My system has a bungee loop that the anchor attaches to. Secondly, you have to have some sort of quick release. When I attach my anchor to the loop, I connect with a carbiner that I also clip on a 10-12" boat fender. When you hook up,you unclip the anchor with the buoy attached,land your fish, then go back for the buoy. Some don't think you need to be able to anchor from ANY place on the kayak, but I disagree. On a yak, you can only face one direction, your anchor point determines which way you are facing. If you are only able to anchor to one or two spots, you can only face/fish one or two directions. Not only is this type of anchor sytem good for fishing, it's also a safety measure. Having a 30lb striper with 2 sets of trebles in his face, twisted in an anchor line is not a good situation.

If anyone needs more info or photos, just ask.

Phil

Hi Phil,

From the looks of things you know what I talking about! Could you please post a picture or two so we could have a good idea what you are reffering to? I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

"Crazy" Alberto

Alberto,

Here's some photos. You'll see the bungee loop with a platic triangle that I clip the anchor and buoy to. You'll also notice a cam cleat in front of my hand. There is one on each side facing in opposite directions, so that the trolley line cannot move once it's locked in. I just lift the line up to release it. The blue trolley line around the perimeter is has pulleys at each corner.

View?u=1569402&a=11924325&p=42834893

View?u=1569402&a=11924325&p=42834891

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 03-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 03-05-2001).]

Hi Phil,

That's great! I really need to see this in person! I also noticed that you have a interesting side rod holder.... can you tell me where you purchased it? (Goldberg's Boat place in Midtown?)

Thanks!

"Crazy" Alberto

p.s.: Just curious, where do you fish?

Alberto,

Those are heavy rubber paddle clips that I got at the Jersey Paddler. They are indestructable. For rod holders,I have two flush holders on either side next to the seat and a RAM tube between my feet.

I fish primarily in Montauk. I've played the moving target for every surfcaster at the Bluffs a few times. I also fish the north shore, in Bayville, once in a while. My father lives there and has a decent private beach with a jetty at both ends.(If your ever up that way, let me know, I'll tell them you're coming). I know you fish Montauk also, you'll see me- grey Yukon with a kayak. Let me know when you're heading East.

Phil

That boat looks GREAT! Love 2 see a detail of the rod holder location(s).I'm looking @ a Fish n' Dive(or a Nav.)to buy.

Those Ram tubes are sweet...bought some myself but have'nt installed 'em yet.(may save them 4 the New kayak).

GM,

Here's a look. Two flush holders next to the seat and the RAM inbetween the seat. The fishfinder goes between the RAM and the seat, it's mounted on the hatch.Hope it helps.

View?u=1569402&a=11924325&p=42834889

Nice boat, nice pic!

I'm just starting to outfit my Scupper Pro TW. It's got a mounting area for a compass right where you have your RAM tube. I'm either going to put a tube there -- or a flush mount. Which do you like better, generally, the flush or the tube. I like the stealth-factor with the flush mount but I like the 360 degree swivel action with the RAM. Thoughts?